PokerStars Game #8724141448: Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($2/$4) - 2007/03/03 - 20:17:31 (ET)Table 'Aphelion' 6-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: AMonroe2896 ($65 in chips) Seat 5: aucu ($91 in chips) aucu: posts small blind $1AMonroe2896: posts big blind $2*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to aucu [8s 2s 8d 8h 3c] Not bad HU so I raiseaucu: raises $2 to $4AMonroe2896: calls $2*** FIRST DRAW ***AMonroe2896: discards 2 cardsaucu: discards 2 cards [8s 8d]Dealt to aucu [2s 8h 3c] [5d 7d]AMonroe2896: checks aucu: bets $2AMonroe2896: raises $2 to $4aucu: raises $2 to $6AMonroe2896: raises $2 to $8Betting is capped He drew 2 so thought my 8 would be goodaucu: calls $2*** SECOND DRAW ***AMonroe2896: stands pat Damn, what do you put him on a 7 or an 86? Do you chuck the 8?

You're beating a bluff here...thats about it. Maybe 87543, or 876xx if you are lucky. You have a good redraw, I break it if this guy has shown to be solid.

Being HU the is my 8 good enough question looms larger but here is how I played it.Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($2/$4) (converter)Hero ($91), Seat 5BB ($65), Seat 1Button at Seat 5.Hero posts $1. BB posts $2. Hand: [8s 2s 8d 8h 3c]Round 1: (1.50 SB)Hero raises. BB calls. BB takes 2. Hero discards 8s 8d. Hand: [2s 8h 3c 5d 7d]Round 2: (4.00 SB)BB checks. Hero bets. BB raises. Hero raises. BB raises. Hero calls. BB stands pat. Hero discards 8h. Hand: [2s 3c 5d 7d 7s]Round 3: (6.00 BB)BB bets. Hero calls. BB stands pat. Hero discards 7s. Hand: [2s 3c 5d 7d 6s]Round 4: (8.00 BB)BB bets. Hero raises. BB raises. Hero calls. Total pot: (14.00 BB - $56)***edit***converter not working wellmod edit - fixed :club: (just had to change the BB code for the color)

• 2 weeks later...

You've seen 3 of the 8s (this is why I hate hands with paired 8s or 6s, BTW, because it increases the chance your opponent is drawing smooth) and I doubt any sane player is capping with a 9. Let me guess, you ran into 23467?

• 2 weeks later...

I think breaking is correct here. What does his possible hand range look like?If he has a hand that beats yours (including the better 8s) you are about 3.4 to 1 to win the pot (22.5%). The immediate pot odds (7:1) don't quite justify a call on the third round since against this hand range you are 7.2 to 1 with one draw to go, or 8.8:1 against the range of just sevens. But it's at least in the right neighborhood to draw twice considering the implied odds of hitting your wheel.Suppose he jams with any made 8. You are then about 26% likely to be ahead (all those paired 8s make it quite probable he has a 7.) In this case breaking wins 25% of the time anyway. So you might as well break.Now, some players will stick with a 9 here, particularly an unbreakable one. If you give him the range "any 9" then you are only 16% likely to be beaten, and drawing becomes a large mistake since you are only 37% to beat his hand range. Even adding just one or two 9's (95432 + 96543) lowers your chance of being beaten to 54% which makes it best to call down since you are only 27% to win by drawing.You can explore the various possibilities using this tool:http://lowballgurus.com/dead-out-calculator.htmlThough I haven't added a "cumulative probability" column which would be useful for calculating how likely you are to be already winning--- I had to total those up by hand (and may easily have screwed it up.)Summary: If he would only jam hands that beat yours, you're drawing slim--- consider folding.If he would jam any 8, you are just as likely to win by drawing as by calling down.If he would jam some 9s, you should just call down.See also:http://wiki.lowballgurus.com/article/Paired_Eights_Are_Bad

this hand is really too read based to do much with on a strat forum. HU, will he do this with a nine? if so, don't let him break. if he won't do this with a nine, will he break an 87 HU? if so, cap the bejesus out of the 2nd draw and keep firing, bet/folding the end with a decent 87.against different players, i will either break your hand or cap it, depending on their tendencies.

this hand is really too read based to do much with on a strat forum. HU, will he do this with a nine? if so, don't let him break. if he won't do this with a nine, will he break an 87 HU? if so, cap the bejesus out of the 2nd draw and keep firing, bet/folding the end with a decent 87.against different players, i will either break your hand or cap it, depending on their tendencies.
The thing is that 2-7 games are often short handed with tables breaking up and starting all the time so HU is very common and can be quite profitable but with wild swings. great practice for FT tournament play BTW.