Cricket - Icc Champions Trophy

Don't know how much interest there is going given the prodominance of North American posters, but who is watching the ICC Champions Trophy?Who do we think will win?Obviously my heart is with Australia, but after their loss to the West Indies I don't think they can do it. I think New Zealand is a good chance to take it out.

Me and CuIn4YearsDan are the only people in here that have heard of cricket. Unfortunately, I never get to see any cricket because Sky Sports has it ALL, but I managed to watch India destroy England while I was working behind a bar. So I choose India (are they even still in the competition?)

Yeah India are still in and home soil they will be tough to beat. The only teams eliminated so far are Zimbawee and Bangladesh I think. Australia play England on Saturday.

Dont leave me out of any cricket discussions!!Englands collapse against australia was woeful.THey went from 0/100ish to all out for 160.I still think australia have a real good shot at winning.India have the home ground advantage (huge in the subcontinent) so are in with a real shot.My outside pick is Sri Lanka.

The aussies are starting to find some form now. Match against India saw a turnaround for a few key players.McGrath back to his best.Watson getting some runs.Gilcrest & ponting posting some decent scores.We are looking good for this, hitting form at the right time.BRING ON THE ASHES!

The aussies are starting to find some form now. Match against India saw a turnaround for a few key players.McGrath back to his best.Watson getting some runs.Gilcrest & ponting posting some decent scores.We are looking good for this, hitting form at the right time.BRING ON THE ASHES!
How many years does McGrath have left in him?
How many years does McGrath have left in him?
Wouldnt have thought too many more.The thing that works in his favour is that he doesnt rely on raw pace, something that would obviously suffer with age. The ability to consistently get the ball in the desired spot wont suffer much as he gets older.My guess: 2 - 3 years.
Wouldnt have thought too many more.The thing that works in his favour is that he doesnt rely on raw pace, something that would obviously suffer with age. The ability to consistently get the ball in the desired spot wont suffer much as he gets older.My guess: 2 - 3 years.
Yeah, I remember when curtly ambrose and courtney walsh came to england for the last time, they were both around 37, bowling at around 65 mph, and they were both completely unplayable. McGrath's pretty identical in style to those two guys.If he stays fit this time you should beat england fairly handily.
Yeah, I remember when curtly ambrose and courtney walsh came to england for the last time, they were both around 37, bowling at around 65 mph, and they were both completely unplayable. McGrath's pretty identical in style to those two guys.If he stays fit this time you should beat england fairly handily.
The future is looking bright anyway for when McGrath retires.Watson, bracken, tait, johnson are all stepping up to the plate and fast becoming world glass bowlers.We have a few good young spinners as well in the mix for when warney retires as well.

Good win for the Aussies? I only caught the fall of the last Windies wicket. There was too much soccer and rugby on at the bar. Nobody here wants to watch cricket :club: And why can't the Aussies try and beat Ireland playing football, rather than resorting to violence?

Good win for the Aussies? I only caught the fall of the last Windies wicket. There was too much soccer and rugby on at the bar. Nobody here wants to watch cricket :club: And why can't the Aussies try and beat Ireland playing football, rather than resorting to violence?
It was a good win. The Windies got off to a great start (50 off 5 overs) then absolutely crumbled.It really frustrates us the way the players behave in the International Rules series. A lot of the behavious is pretty disgusting and they get slammed by the media and general public every year for it. I have no explanation for why they do it.
It was a good win. The Windies got off to a great start (50 off 5 overs) then absolutely crumbled.It really frustrates us the way the players behave in the International Rules series. A lot of the behavious is pretty disgusting and they get slammed by the media and general public every year for it. I have no explanation for why they do it.
Good win for Australia.And on the International Rules.That is how Australian Football is played, it is played Ruff. You are taught to tackle and hurt people when you tackle. The Irish just arn't used to it, with their galic football where you can't tackle. Australian Rules is a physical sport and that is how they played it. Although it did get very violent, but it just wasn't Australia.I quiet enjoyed watching it.
Good win for Australia.And on the International Rules.That is how Australian Football is played, it is played Ruff. You are taught to tackle and hurt people when you tackle. The Irish just arn't used to it, with their galic football where you can't tackle. Australian Rules is a physical sport and that is how they played it. Although it did get very violent, but it just wasn't Australia.I quiet enjoyed watching it.
Oh come off it. I've watched quite a bit of Aussie Rules, and you would never call it a violent sport. It is actually less physical than Gaelic Football despite the fact that you're allowed to tackle. I know that we were dishing out some punishment ourselves, but you can only take so much before you start defending yourself.And who doesn't like a bit of mindless violence :club:
It wasnt the tackling that most people were complaining about. It was more to do with the fights that erupted and "cheap shots".I think it came down to the fact that they knew they couldnt be suspended from AFL duties and so let loose with all their frustration that they wouldnt in a normal game.

yergan mate, what's your prediction for the match on Sunday? I think Ireland will win a close one. Man for man I feel we have the edge on you, and scrummaging which is our achilles heel won't harm our chances too much. It will definitely be close though, whichever way it goes, and it'll be a great match.

The fighting is unnecessary, but seriously that wasn't even the issue... The Irish were up in arms over a player who got injured in a legitimate tackle. For a nation that plays Rugby I can't believe you guys don't understand that players sometimes get injured in fair circumstances. These sort of things are going to happen if we are going to have a contest between highly trained, physical professional atheletes and light of foot, but naturally talented amateurs. It is a shame, because I quite enjoyed the series and I feel that our sports have a lot to offer each other. Colm Begley will hopefully step up this year at my club, the Brisbane Lions and play a few senior games, and I feel like more of the Irish players could do it if the series continues.

yergan mate, what's your prediction for the match on Sunday? I think Ireland will win a close one. Man for man I feel we have the edge on you, and scrummaging which is our achilles heel won't harm our chances too much. It will definitely be close though, whichever way it goes, and it'll be a great match.
I dont know too much about the wallabies or irish team (and RU in general) at the moment. I really havent been keeping up with it. All I know is I really underestimated you guys at the world cup and was very surprised. We have been playing absolutely terribly lately with a lot of players finding their feet in new positions. Cant tell which way it will go.
Nice win for you guys. Havent seen the match yet (only know the result). Did you watch it?
Nice win for you guys. Havent seen the match yet (only know the result). Did you watch it?
Yeah I saw the second half live then I watched the first half on video when I got home. Satisfying stuff :D We completely dominated in everything except the scrum. The only thing is you guys never play well in the rain, so you'd have to take that into account when you're assesing both teams. Most people agree that Ireland are the second best team in the world now, and I don't know the last time that's been the case. If only the world cup was held tomorrow.You've still got a lot of good backs, and you'll doubtless pull a competitive team out of the bag in time for the WC, because you always ****ing do :club: