Hey all,I have been building decent stacks in tournaments and getting fairly deep. I also get within about 30-50 of the money and my stack is dwindling. Im now below average stack and need to find a spot to double up. I am not going to fold into the money, I am still trying to win these tournaments. When is the right time to push?? Is 10x BB the number? Also, what hands? I pushed with 910s which I now think was a horrible idea, because it needs to improve to win. Is any ace or king good in these spots? Also, being first in is a plus if I have weaker holdings.So my question is, does anyone have a system they use late in tournies when they are short?

Hey all,I have been building decent stacks in tournaments and getting fairly deep. I also get within about 30-50 of the money and my stack is dwindling. Im now below average stack and need to find a spot to double up. I am not going to fold into the money, I am still trying to win these tournaments. When is the right time to push?? Is 10x BB the number? Also, what hands? I pushed with 910s which I now think was a horrible idea, because it needs to improve to win. Is any ace or king good in these spots? Also, being first in is a plus if I have weaker holdings.So my question is, does anyone have a system they use late in tournies when they are short?
my system is Raise and Pray (feel free to use it as often as u like)try trying to win one hand per round. 910s is not a bad hand to push if you are first in and good position. 10x BB is too early to push all in with mediocre hands. 5 or 6x BB is better.And develop your own hands to push with. I will say this though: i prefer 910s to king rag.

Harrington writes about "M". Your "M" is the size of your chip stack in realtion to the blinds and antes. For example. Late in a tourney,10 handed Blinds are 1000-2000 with a $200 ante. When you add th BB, SB and ante of all 10 players you get $5000. (SB=$1000, BB=$2000, 10Xante of $200= $2000)IF you have a chip stack of $15000, divide it by our magic number ($5000) then you will get your "M" wich is totaled to 3. You should make a stand with your money when your "M" is creeping bellow 4 or 5. Also it's best to put it in, in a later position when you have a weaker holding. Imagine you are short stacked under the gun. You want to make a move and look down at your hand and see something like K-Js. This looks like a fine gambleing hand. But you don't know how the action is going to go and you may still have to fold that in such an early spot. If you had the same hand on the button and got to watch the action go something like: First pos raises, secon pos re-raises and third pos goes all-in, then K-Js is an easy fold. Under the gun you don't get the luxury of having all that information.

Harrington writes about "M". Your "M" is the size of your chip stack in realtion to the blinds and antes. For example. Late in a tourney,10 handed Blinds are 1000-2000 with a $200 ante. When you add th BB, SB and ante of all 10 players you get $5000. (SB=$1000, BB=$2000, 10Xante of $200= $2000)IF you have a chip stack of $15000, divide it by our magic number ($5000) then you will get your "M" wich is totaled to 3. You should make a stand with your money when your "M" is creeping bellow 4 or 5. Also it's best to put it in, in a later position when you have a weaker holding. Imagine you are short stacked under the gun. You want to make a move and look down at your hand and see something like K-Js. This looks like a fine gambleing hand. But you don't know how the action is going to go and you may still have to fold that in such an early spot. If you had the same hand on the button and got to watch the action go something like: First pos raises, secon pos re-raises and third pos goes all-in, then K-Js is an easy fold. Under the gun you don't get the luxury of having all that information.
Is this copied right out of a book? Fold KJs short stacked utg? KJs is likely a far better hand than u would see with your blind hand. DO NOT be blinded off as u pass with KJs. Go out of the tourney trying to double up, control your own destiny!!
Is this copied right out of a book? Fold KJs short stacked utg? KJs is likely a far better hand than u would see with your blind hand. DO NOT be blinded off as u pass with KJs. Go out of the tourney trying to double up, control your own destiny!!
This isn't copied right out of the book. Just the formula. You don't have any control in that position. You "control your own destiny" by acting on the information you've recieved from the other players
This isn't copied right out of the book. Just the formula. You don't have any control in that position. You "control your own destiny" by acting on the information you've recieved from the other players
Ahhhh, but utg u are up against the wall and have little choice. The general thinking here is if your hand is good enough to push all in late postion first in, then it is good enough to push short stacked utg. One must not be eliminated from a tournament as the other players check it down. Hell, I even like K9s utg short stacked.

depends how short for KJs UTG.also on how tight table is.I will say 1st in vigor is overrated at small stakes.And sometimes it's better to "race" with KJs than it is to try to just steal blinds from Late position hoping it's folded to you and your JT is not called.

depends how short for KJs UTG.also on how tight table is.I will say 1st in vigor is overrated at small stakes.And sometimes it's better to "race" with KJs than it is to try to just steal blinds from Late position hoping it's folded to you and your JT is not called.
I thought this was "general strategy". Everything in poker "depends". And if everyone played alike, then nobody would play.
is that supposed to relate at all to what I said?
You say that it depends on how short stacked and it depends on how tight the table is and yada yada yada.Generally speaking, Kjs is a no brainer utg short stacked. (IMHO)