I was playing some NL $0.5/$1 holdem today and came across a difficult decision. I am in small blind with Q9os and decide to complete. The big blind checks. There are 4 players in the pot.The flop is 8s Ts Jd, giving me the nut straight and putting a 2-flush on the board. I raise it to 4$. The big blind folds but a player in middle position calls. I put him on a flush draw or top pair. The turn is a blank, and I raise again, to $10. He just smooth calls again. Since this player was somewhat experienced, I didn't think he would call with a flush draw with very bad pot odds. The river was another spade, so I check it. He instantly raises me all in for my remaining $25...Do I call or fold in this position? He could be just representing a flush trying to steal the pot.So I decide to call, and he flips over KJspades.

You don't have an easily recognizable hand... I don't think he could have put you on the straight at all similar to trips. You have that going for you. If he does have top pair (like he did) I can see why he called and with the flush he had to think he was good but was obvioulsy waiting for the flush to be sure. With the third spade all in, to me its almost a 50/50 for calls like this with people i randomly play in tourneys. In my mind i remember being right or completely wrong about half the times each. It depends on the player, however, one piece of info. you got with him is that he knows you have been raising substantially off the flop and turn.. and he has no reason to bluff at you on the river. Rarely would a player call this much and not recognize that you have a pretty good hand and since you knew he was a good player it might have been correct to lay down the hand. Of course I know what happend as well so it could just be hindsight.

is your nine a spade? I ask because As9s and Qs9s are the only hands a good player is beating you with here.You raised the pot on the flop, raised 4/5 of the pot on the turn. A good player would have to be tilting or on crack to make this call with just a flush draw. A straight draw and a nut flush draw, on the other hand...The problem is, what else could he have? A good player also wouldn't slowplay a set on such a ridiculously draw heavy board. I highly doubt he called you to the end to bluff if a scare card hit. Overpaying for phantom outs is even dumber than overpaying for real ones.If you have the 9 of spades you should probably call. Otherwise you have a tough decision to make, but you are getting 2-1 on your money.By the way, in the future you may want to wait until a few people have responded to post the results. Luckily I missed it before writing this post, but it would definitely have skewed my response to know what he had.