I am curious about what people think is an appropriate buy-in for a session of L.H.E. I have read/seen that 300BB is an appropriate bankroll for a particular limit, but I am interested to hear about how much of that should be put in play at a single session to weather ups and downs. If there is a difference, I am more interested in B&M play. As an example of the kind of discussion I am looking for, I will toss out: Bring a total of 50BB, buy in for 30BB, and re-load for 10BB twice if necessary.

Guest Zach6668

Really doesn't matter. You should have 12 BB before the start of each hand though, in case you hold the nuts and want to get the absolute maximum.Most people I know will buy in for anywhere between 30 and 50 BB however, most of the time, 50, I think.- Zach

Guest Zach6668
I never really see anybody buy-in for more than 30 big bets in a live game. 20 is probably typical in a live game.
My standard live game, everyone buys in for $100... it's a 3/6 game! The reloads are ridiculous!

I think the limits you are playing are relevant for this discussion. Another element is how do you compare to the other players in the game? If you are one of the best players in the game I would buy in for more than I would if your not. If you have a short bankroll you should buy in for less (maybe even the minimum) Say you have $150 for a session of $3-$6, then 3 buy ins of $50 are going to protect your bankroll better than one buy in of $150.Most everyone plays better when they are winning. Buying in short allows you to have money when your playing well, and be short of money when the other players are playing well. The main factor is being honest with yourself to evaluate how you compare to the other players in the game. If you are one of the best at the table then you should buy in for more, giving yourself maximum opprotunity.