I just started at this table. I've raised about half the hands dealt to me and haven't showed anything down yet. UTG+1 I just muck the AJ. But since I'm inching into middle position, I'll take a shot. MP1 is LAG. 32% VPIP, 11% PFR.Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxMP3 ($60.90)CO ($146.05)Button ($84.55)SB ($61)BB ($89.70)UTG ($79.50)UTG+1 ($215.25)Hero ($204)MP1 ($119.65)MP2 ($88.30)Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J:club:, A:diamond:. 2 folds, Hero calls $3.I don't want to call, but since it's free, what the hell.Flop: ($19) 6:spade:, 7:heart:, A:heart: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $2,2 ??? wtf is 2? Hero raises to $8, MP1 calls $6.Turn: ($35) 7:club: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $10, Hero calls $10.River: ($55) 9:diamond: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 checks.Final Pot: $55

why do you open raise to 2.5xbb. Mine is 3.5x if I'm opening from any position and more if there are limpers in the pot.
Because Jesus says so. Well, not exactly. I want to play smaller pots when I'm out of position.
why do you open raise to 2.5xbb. Mine is 3.5x if I'm opening from any position and more if there are limpers in the pot.
Because Jesus says so. Well, not exactly. I want to play smaller pots when I'm out of position.
I think thats pretty standard for a lot of players. I know Phil Gordon's book talks about altering your pf bet based on position.That being said, I think the hand played out how it should have? You can't fold pf there. You hit your flop and raised the silly bet. And if you were beat, you made it to the river pretty cheaply.Not sure about anyone else, but this one was pretty standard to me and played correctly?Mark
The Jesus part is funny. I almost think I want to raise more with a hand that I don't really want action on, like this, to discourage limpers behind me. I'm not suggesting betting anything out of line that will get you in trouble, but I agree with Bluff that I wouldn't raise less than 3.5 BB on here, especially if you think you'll get a lot of callers.That said, the min raise after you and tiny value bets certainly reak of a guy looking to get paid off. I think you needed to raise more preflop, or c/r the flop to see where you were at. Otherwise, you're left to call down.edit: since I can't read, I missed your check raise. So forget what I said. I think you had to call the turn. I think you played it as well as you could. Does anyone make a bigger Check raise, since you were still pricing him in, if he was on a draw?Fortunately, he wasn't charging that much to see, I guess.Edit: But, I guess with the check on the turn, he ended up not having AA, so I'm guessing an A stronger than you, or a busted flush draw.

I just started at this table. I've raised about half the hands dealt to me and haven't showed anything down yet. UTG+1 I just muck the AJ. But since I'm inching into middle position, I'll take a shot. MP1 is LAG. 32% VPIP, 11% PFR.Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxMP3 ($60.90)CO ($146.05)Button ($84.55)SB ($61)BB ($89.70)UTG ($79.50)UTG+1 ($215.25)Hero ($204)MP1 ($119.65)MP2 ($88.30)Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J:club:, A:diamond:. 2 folds, Hero calls $3.Flop: ($19) 6:spade:, 7:heart:, A:heart: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $2, MP1 calls $6.Turn: ($35) 7:club: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $10, Hero calls $10.River: ($55) 9:diamond: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 checks.Final Pot: $55Results in white below: Hero has Jc Ad (two pair, aces and sevens). MP1 has Qh Qc (two pair, queens and sevens). Outcome: Hero wins $55.

I just started at this table. I've raised about half the hands dealt to me and haven't showed anything down yet. UTG+1 I just muck the AJ. But since I'm inching into middle position' date=' I'll take a shot. MP1 is LAG. 32% VPIP, 11% PFR.Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxMP3 ($60.90)CO ($146.05)Button ($84.55)SB ($61)BB ($89.70)UTG ($79.50)UTG+1 ($215.25)Hero ($204)MP1 ($119.65)MP2 ($88.30)Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J:club:, A:diamond:. 2 folds, Hero calls $3.I don't want to call, but since it's free, what the hell.
I love the minraise.
Flop: ($19) 6:spade:, 7:heart:, A:heart: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $2,2 ??? wtf is 2? Hero raises to $8So he's got JJ, QQ or KK and we just sucked out on him, but, he's in the "Fuck it I'm showing down mode." 2 dollar bet into a 19 dollar pot makes me giggle.
Turn: ($35) 7:club: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $10We're ahead here, but I don't mind not getting crazy.
River: ($55) 9:diamond: (2 players)Hero checks, MP1 checks.Final Pot: $55
Looks good.
I strongly disagree with making a 3.5x raise out of position AJ high, or any drawing hand for that matter. You got it right.
Sounds like they definitely wanted a call with the $3 raise preflop and the $2 raise on the flop. I would be scared of this hand.
I agree they wanted a call preflop, but not so much after the flop. That looks like a total donkey probe. I can't believe how often I see this play, especially at lower stakes and in tournaments. It is especially funny to me, because I cannot ever recall this happening in a live cash game. A true fish play if I have ever seen one. Given the way the flop betting went down, I would have put him on KK. I am shocked that he bet the turn. It was absolutely a mistake. I would have preffered that we bet the turn, because I believe AQ/AK reraise the flop (AA is a very unlikely holding given we hold the other A.) You checked, which was okay, and given that I agree with you calling. The only thing I can think of is that he put you on hearts, but that doesn't make sense because he still offered you acceptable pot odds to see a river on a heart draw. Personally, I don't think he attempted to put you on a hand at all, and just bet $10 on the turn because, well "I have pocket kings." He concerned himself only with his own holdings and the board (barely.) His bet makes zero sense, and the only thing you should take from this hand (besides $55) is that you learned this player is weak.

2$ bet on the flop showsweakness. Almost always 1010-KK at this point.Value bet both the turn and river.I dont understand why you would check the turn, are you folding to a decent sized bet, hoping to induce a bluff or just don't like $ and want to lose value on your hand.

2$ bet on the flop showsweakness.  Almost always 1010-KK at this point.Value bet both the turn and river.I dont understand why you would check the turn, are you folding to a decent sized bet, hoping to induce a bluff or  just don't like $ and want to lose value on your hand.
I'm guessing that I'm against an underpair, and I can't get any further value out of the hand by betting out. He'll feel obliged to bet something instead of ginving me a free draw at a flush. I do think I missed a bet on the river, when I can represent a missed flush draw. I wasn't 100% on the read, though, so thus the pansy-assed check.
2$ bet on the flop showsweakness. Almost always 1010-KK at this point.Value bet both the turn and river.I dont understand why you would check the turn, are you folding to a decent sized bet, hoping to induce a bluff or just don't like $ and want to lose value on your hand.
I'm guessing that I'm against an underpair, and I can't get any further value out of the hand by betting out. He'll feel obliged to bet something instead of ginving me a free draw at a flush. I do think I missed a bet on the river, when I can represent a missed flush draw. I wasn't 100% on the read, though, so thus the pansy-assed check.
If you feel you are ahead in a hand, fearing your opponent won't call your bet is almost never an acceptable reason for checking. Don't let an underdog run of free cards.