i can't play a full month of poker

I think the last full month of poker for me was in February. For some reason, I play like 2 40+ hour weeks of poker then something happens like a bad night and I lose my taste for it and don't get my taste back for like 2 weeks. I just got back to poker tonight and I felt great. I was playing completely fearless and then I won like $120 and then I got scared. I need to be able to play poker without fear like Matusow says. If I have fear of losing money then I can't play properly. I don't know how to get rid of it. Anyway, I'm not sure I can play more then 1 hour straight of poker without losing concentration or getting scared. I felt the fear come into me so I left. I just don't want to be on the table anymore unless I'm fearless. I have to stop focusing on the money.

ive had the same situation of getting off my game becuase im scared... when i go up, playing blinds/limits im comfortable with and then jumping into a lot higher stakes....then i lose becuase im scared and focus on the money too much - the only thing i can think of, which i try and do myself is to master your "fear" on lower limits and stakes that youre really comfortable with and then you can make your way up and not be so worried about the money. :wink:

I've found what works for me is to play tight aggressive in the rings, which are my bread and butter, and the money goes to the bills. If I want to blow off steam I play a 10 or 20 MTT, and just go megla crazy. Little risk, and it's better than getting all tight and squeaky at the rings. I try more to play a certain amount of hands per day(400-600). That way I don't get burnt out, and don't push winning streaks or get tempted to chase losses. Losing the money should never hurt more than losing the hand. Good luck and welcome back.

I don't think I can play 400 hands/day of NL poker. Just too much thinking involved on every hand. I'm pretty much only playing one table at a time now because I'm not sure my win rate is even positive when I play two tables. If it is, it's barely positive. I have to watch them play otherwise I don't know how to play them.Are the craziest people the best NL players ? Matusow is right. You have to play with no fear. Tuan Le is kind of nuts. You can kind of see it in his eyes. Danny Nguyen is definitely crazy. Gus Hanson's pretty crazy. I wish I can play without getting scared. When I was card counting, I would never change my play based on my emotions. I played without fear no matter how much I was ahead or behind, but with poker, I've been unable to do this completely because the game is so weird.

I think the last full month of poker for me was in February. For some reason, I play like 2 40+ hour weeks of poker then something happens like a bad night and I lose my taste for it and don't get my taste back for like 2 weeks. I just got back to poker tonight and I felt great. I was playing completely fearless and then I won like $120 and then I got scared. I need to be able to play poker without fear like Matusow says. If I have fear of losing money then I can't play properly. I don't know how to get rid of it. Anyway, I'm not sure I can play more then 1 hour straight of poker without losing concentration or getting scared. I felt the fear come into me so I left. I just don't want to be on the table anymore unless I'm fearless. I have to stop focusing on the money.
Maybe you should move down a limit so your mind is disconnected from the money. Then move up when you feel comfortable and your bankroll is large enough to not think about it so much.

I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by playing. I 3 table 100NL, so it's about 3 hours a day minimum. It's not always fun, but unless I want to move up limits that's where I have to grind. If you're just doing it for spending money, stay where you're comfortable. If you're doing it as you main source of income, it's not always fun, like any job. If you're that jaded by the game, go get some menial job for a few months. You'll appreciate it more and come back with a vengence. You may find yourself more than happy to put in the hours. Then you may be able to move out of your mom's house. Possibly you're afraid to put yourself out on a limb and take some risks because you're afraid what it would do to you if you failed. You have to gamble in life, you sound like you're in a good position to do so. GAMBLE!!!