issues w/ super system- limit hold em

I was re-reading SS 1's limit hold em section, and it doesn't seem to have the importance to every day players as I'm sure it once did. Obviously there is a lot of talk about position, but I think the main problem is the assumption that OTHER people are thinking about position. More so than not, players aren't thinking about position as much as they should. This is obvious in low limit, but even the middle limit 10-20, 15-30 games I've played had a complete lack of comprehension when it came to position and/or number of players in the hand, etc. The idea that it's not the number of pots, but the size of them, makes no sense conceptually. I'd be curious to hear from those who have read both who could possibly compare the two. There's is always the argument that ss wasn't written for beginning players, and while that is true for SS1 I would doubt that it's true for SS2, granted I haven't read it.Edit: I amend: when I meant to say but didn't was SS1 talks about how to act in your position based on how other people act in theirs. Ex: you hold ladies in late position and re-raise. According to SS1, if you are re-raised you have to almost always assume you are up against AA or KK because a person in early position will only be playing and raising/re-raising with those two hands. I don't think this is the case anymore. Limit hold em play in SS1 is based on the good/decent play of others that no longer exists.

my quick response is, just b/c they are not paying attention to position does not mean you should also. you should be more selective and make them pay for betting out early position with top pair while you are playing a set b/c so many people were in the pot preflop.the point of ss1 or 2 is not that it should be written for advanced or beginning players or low limit or high limit. it was written to make you a better player than the people that have not read it as well as theory of poker, small stakes hold-em and such.

I amend: when I meant to say but didn't was SS1 talks about how to act in your position based on how other people act in theirs. Ex: you hold ladies in late position and re-raise. According to SS1, if you are re-raised you have to almost always assume you are up against AA or KK because a person in early position will only be playing and raising/re-raising with those two hands. I don't think this is the case anymore. Limit hold em play in SS1 is based on the good/decent play of others that no longer exists.

I was re-reading SS 1's limit hold em section, and it doesn't seem to have the importance to every day players as I'm sure it once did. Obviously there is a lot of talk about position, but I think the main problem is the assumption that OTHER people are thinking about position. More so than not, players aren't thinking about position as much as they should. This is obvious in low limit, but even the middle limit 10-20, 15-30 games I've played had a complete lack of comprehension when it came to position and/or number of players in the hand, etc. The idea that it's not the number of pots, but the size of them, makes no sense conceptually. I'd be curious to hear from those who have read both who could possibly compare the two. There's is always the argument that ss wasn't written for beginning players, and while that is true for SS1 I would doubt that it's true for SS2, granted I haven't read it.
I think the main thing is to look at the context. Doyle says in the intro to the Hold 'em sections that hold 'em is the game of the future. He also says that it's a game that not many people know, which is why it's the only game for which he describes play and structure (which is also outdated). I suppose that if it's a game that not many people knew or played at the time of publication, that you could assume if you got in a hold 'em game you would be playing against good players.I haven't read SS2 yet (it's in the mail), but I imagine he'll talk more about playing loose hold 'em tables, since the game is so much more popular now.A lot of things in SS1 don't apply well to modern poker because the face of the game has changed so much over the last 30 years. For example, who plays Hi/Lo declare anymore? Or even five card draw for that matter.

Position is critical. The difference between limits is being able to place a player on a hand considering his actions and his position. At LL, you make your decisions based on your position and use other information to get a read.b.t.w. at higher limits, I imagine that players mix things up enough that it may be tough to determine their hand by their action/position, anyway. My 2 cents.

Position is critical. The difference between limits is being able to place a player on a hand considering his actions and his position. At LL, you make your decisions based on your position and use other information to get a read.b.t.w. at higher limits, I imagine that players mix things up enough that it may be tough to determine their hand by their action/position, anyway. My 2 cents.
I think you're misreading me, I never said that position isn't critical, I KNOW it is. And what I said about higher limits isn't a guess based on play, it's a fact: the players suck just as much as they do in the 3/6 and don't take position into consideration. When you call all the way with your bottom pair, you can't really blame it on shifting gears.
i really liked ss2 section on limit holdem. probably the best iv ever read about limit holdem.
I agree, it was a great section. But it's true that it might not always work for low limit games. Most of it still applies, but you have to maybe dumb it down a little if you're paying low limits with people who don't even know what you're doing. Still a great section, and the aggressivness is great.