pot commitment? ($20+$2 plhe tourney)

I was not involved in this hand. I found it interesting due to the pot size and chip stacks involved. If it was me in the hand I would have raised more preflop and bet the flop differently, but I still would have been pot commited..curious to hear how you strat folks might have played the hand.PokerStars Pot-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed)saw flop|saw showdownUTG (t980)Other Dude (t1910)MP1 (t970)Hero (t1885)CO (t1670)Button (t1745)SB (t1905)BB (t935)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with [As], [Ad]. 1 fold, Other Dude calls t200.Flop: (t775) [4s], [9d], [Ts] (2 players)Other Dude checks, Hero bets t775, Hero calls t760 (All-In).Turn: (t3870) [2s] (2 players, 1 all-in)River: (t3870) [Kd] (2 players, 1 all-in)Final Pot: t3870

Not much different. I would have put it all in on the flop. I like to overbet the pot to chase the flush draw out. If someone has trip 10s, or 9s then oh well.
This was a pot limit tournament, though, so you can't overbet the pot here.
Not much different. I would have put it all in on the flop. I like to overbet the pot to chase the flush draw out. If someone has trip 10s, or 9s then oh well.
HEH! This made me laugh.
Why?
HEH! This made me laugh.
Why?
..because he wanted you to overbet the pot in a Pot Limit game?
HEH! This made me laugh.
Why?
..because he wanted you to overbet the pot in a Pot Limit game?
Ah, okay. I thought you were talking about my response to him.

There are a lot of different ways to play this hand... it just so happens that all of them are worse than the way chosen by our hero. The hero did all he could to put all his money in with the best hand, and just happened to get outdrawn.Oh... and if you even think of folding to the flop raise, well that's as stupid as trying to overbet the pot in a pot limit hold'em tournement.Cheers,Merby

There are a lot of different ways to play this hand... it just so happens that all of them are worse than the way chosen by our hero. The hero did all he could to put all his money in with the best hand, and just happened to get outdrawn.Oh... and if you even think of folding to the flop raise, well that's as stupid as trying to overbet the pot in a pot limit hold'em tournement.Cheers,Merby
Yes, the only play worse than bet/fold on this flop with AA is to check/fold.Agreed.

I agree and I'd make the call, too.The hand was from a "Player of the Year" series of tournaments on another poker forum and for some reason generated a lot of debate at the table so I thought I'd see what the FCP'ers thought of it.

I agree and I'd make the call, too.The hand was from a "Player of the Year" series of tournaments on another poker forum and for some reason generated a lot of debate at the table so I thought I'd see what the FCP'ers thought of it.
Were people really advocating the AA folding?Because a hand like AK :club: , KK, QQ, JJ, would never make this play..Wait a minute, yes they would.That's not a question.If you check/fold, you're extremely weak/tight.If you bet/fold, you're losing huge equity.You get this in on the flop and it's not even close.
Were people really advocating the AA folding?Because a hand like AK :club: , KK, QQ, JJ, would never make this play..Wait a minute, yes they would.That's not a question.If you check/fold, you're extremely weak/tight.If you bet/fold, you're losing huge equity.
Some were arguing about his PF play, some were shocked he took such a long time to make the call, some were surprised he did call, and one person advocated betting t300 on the flop and then folding.
Were people really advocating the AA folding?Because a hand like AK :club: , KK, QQ, JJ, would never make this play..Wait a minute, yes they would.That's not a question.If you check/fold, you're extremely weak/tight.If you bet/fold, you're losing huge equity.
Some were arguing about his PF play, some were shocked he took such a long time to make the call, some were surprised he did call, and one person advocated betting t300 on the flop and then folding.
What differently was he supposed to do PF? Just smooth call the raise and invite everyone and their brother in?What purpose does bet/folding serve here?
What differently was he supposed to do PF? Just smooth call the raise and invite everyone and their brother in?
I would've raised more than he did, but the rest of the hand plays the same if it's called.
What purpose does bet/folding serve here?
Confirming to the rest of the table that you are, indeed, a weak-tightie?
What differently was he supposed to do PF? Just smooth call the raise and invite everyone and their brother in?
I would've raised more than he did, but the rest of the hand plays the same if it's called.
What purpose does bet/folding serve here?
Confirming to the rest of the table that you are, indeed, a weak-tightie?
Ahh, my mistake, I thought he potted it. I don't think it makes much of a difference though, he's calling either way.What forum was this discussed at?

I'd probably bet a little bit more preflop, but not much. There's really nothing different you can do here. You want the smaller pair to call you preflop, and with 31 bb in your stack on the flop (and 2x the size of the pot), there's no way in hell to get away from pocket aces. Especially not in a PL tournament.I bet those people who are saying the hero should have folded would be singing a different tune if they were actually the one holding the aces. Unless it's a weird situation like a supersatellite or something, folding would be ridiculous here.