car maintenance.. does everyone get screwed like me?

Got oil change and winter tires put on & a new fan belt (I was hearing a lot of squeekin from it).... first of all suprise surprise theres a big hole in one of my winters somehow so I got to go buy another tire.Today's bill: $143.58 + $34.95 (For 2 more winter tires once I pick up a new one today)But wait there's more..."Front brakes have 10% left on them.. you need to replace the front brake pads, caliiper bushings and they need to machine the rotors and do a rear brake service".Total additional estimate: $473+taxOh wait.... "Sir we found another thing":While putting on the new fan belt we noticed the tensioner isn't keeping the belt tight enough. Estimate for a new tensioner: $196+taxG'day sir

Got oil change and winter tires put on & a new fan belt (I was hearing a lot of squeekin from it).... first of all suprise surprise theres a big hole in one of my winters somehow so I got to go buy another tire.Today's bill: $143.58 + $34.95 (For 2 more winter tires once I pick up a new one today)But wait there's more..."Front brakes have 10% left on them.. you need new replace the front brake pads, caliiper bushings, they need to machine the rotors and do a rear brake service".Total additional estimate: $473+taxOh wait.... "Sir we found another thing":While putting on the new fan belt we noticed the tensioner isn't keeping the belt tight enough. Estimate for a new tensioner: $196+taxG'day sir
Why didn't they just say "Yeah, we're not gonna use any lube for your anal rape."EDIT: Yeah, I agree get a 2nd opinion. I'm having to get my front brakes done too and I don't know how much the labor is but my brother is doing it for 50 bucks(the parts) and that's it.My brother is a mechanic so I don't get screwed over, sorry to hear about your expesnes.
Got oil change and winter tires put on & a new fan belt (I was hearing a lot of squeekin from it).... first of all suprise surprise theres a big hole in one of my winters somehow so I got to go buy another tire.Today's bill: $143.58 + $34.95 (For 2 more winter tires once I pick up a new one today)But wait there's more..."Front brakes have 10% left on them.. you need new replace the front brake pads, caliiper bushings, they need to machine the rotors and do a rear brake service".Total additional estimate: $473+taxOh wait.... "Sir we found another thing":While putting on the new fan belt we noticed the tensioner isn't keeping the belt tight enough. Estimate for a new tensioner: $196+taxG'day sir
I got VERY MUCH screwed like that a month ago..I needed a tune up, which I knew was the $299.99 specialThe 299.99 apparently didnt include LABORI needed Brakes but when they got in there.. Lo and behold I needed new rotors.. cha chingOh and by the way.. My tires were bald.. 2 tires.. cha chingOh so it cost me $800!!!!! I almost DIED on the spot!!
I do all my own service so I only screw myself!What kind of car is it and how many miles? It's never a bad idea to replace the tensioner if you have a lot of miles.What kind or rear brakes do you have?$473 is a lot of money for new pads and service.

Yes its been one hell of a day and I'm definitly getting another opinion.It's a 1998 Cavalier Z24, 170,000 km on it now.It's $473 CDN = 397.57USD + tax*sigh.... and I saved my money to get my gf a puppy for xmas.

Yes its been one hell of a day and I'm definitly getting another opinion.It's a 1998 Cavalier Z24, 170,000 km on it now.It's $473 CDN = 397.57USD + tax*sigh.... and I saved my money to get my gf a puppy for xmas.
Thats what about 100k? A new tensioner would be a good idea and if you have never had the rear breaks serviced then thats not bad either (if they replace the rear shoes and springs.) They may hit you up for more on those rear breaks when they crack them open.BTW my son has a 95 Cavalier. I hate Chevy's
Thats what about 100k? A new tensioner would be a good idea and if you have never had the rear breaks serviced then thats not bad either (if they replace the rear shoes and springs.) They may hit you up for more on those rear breaks when they crack them open.BTW my son has a 95 Cavalier. I hate Chevy's
you republicans hate everything.

Front Brakes - If you're not hearing squeaking (there's a screamer built into brake pads that lets you know when they need to be replaced) you don't need new ones. If you're not feeling any shimmying or shaking when you brake, you don't need your rotors machined down. You can feel around on the back of your rotors to tell if they're in rough shape (dug up, etc, a little scuffing is normal). If they're bad, it's better to replace them, and it shouldn't cost you more than $120. You can do your front brakes yourself if they really need to be done, won't cost you more than $40 for new pads and you can get guaranteed front brake pads so you'll never have to pay for pads again. Back brakes - Your car barely uses the rear brakes, and you would definitely know about it if they were giving you trouble without a mechanic telling you it needs to be done. You'll go through probably 4 sets of front pads before your rear brakes start giving you any trouble. For car service on a budget, it's a much better idea to react to problems rather than advice. The mechanic is out to choke as much $$$ as he can on any given service call, don't get something fixed just on his say-so. Mechanics are -EV

I took a course in basic auto repair from the local community college. I don't see mechanics very often these days. I will say that most small GM cars give me headaches. None of my Nissans ever have.-Ted

you republicans hate everything.
Don't believe propaganda from the left wing media! I hate them too!

Man, one time I took my car into the dealership to get it worked on and I wanted a set of new tires and all new shocks. They check my car out and come back to me and tell me that it'll cost $1000 . I was like 22 at the time and didn't know a damn thing. I think I told the guy "Ok" and when the bill came, I think questioned it a little but didn't put up much of a fight. But now, that really pisses me off because I'm sure that f'd me over big time. But why ? I wasn't rude to anyone that I remember. I'll never forget that and it was about 7 years ago. Things like this make my blog what it is today. I'm just full of hatred.