what went wrong here - hand analysis please.

$5+$1 (real money), hand #1,447,635,2255+0.5 NL Holdem Multi Table Tournament, 7 Nov 2005 12:35 PMSeat 1: blue xx1 ($18,226 in chips)Seat 2: PASI267 ($38,623 in chips)Seat 3: sunshinethm ($15,523 in chips)Seat 4: rdaniel3 ($6,652 in chips)Seat 5: Para13 ($11,503 in chips)Seat 6: MJbuckeyes ($6,390 in chips)Seat 7: jeffcv ($31,210 in chips)Seat 8: rickcurran ($10,515 in chips)Seat 9: freak82 ($10,694 in chips)<b>Dealer</b>: HERO [JC,QC] ($17,140 in chips)ANTES/BLINDSblue xx1 posts blind ($500), PASI267 posts blind ($1,000).PRE-FLOPsunshinethm folds, rdaniel3 folds, Para13 folds, MJbuckeyes folds, jeffcv folds, rickcurran folds, freak82 folds, HERO bets $2,000, blue xx1 calls $1,500, PASI267 folds.FLOP [board cards 5H,10H,QH ]blue xx1 bets $1,000, HERO bets $4,000, blue xx1 calls $3,000.TURN [board cards 5H,10H,QH,JD ]blue xx1 checks, HERO bets $7,500, blue xx1 calls $7,500.RIVER [board cards 5H,10H,QH,JD,KD ]blue xx1 checks, HERO bets $3,640 and is all-in, blue xx1 calls $3,640.SHOWDOWNHERO shows [ JC,QC ]blue xx1 shows [ KH,JS ]blue xx1 wins $35,280.SUMMARYDealer: HEROPot: $35,280blue xx1, bets $17,140, collects $35,280, net $18,140PASI267, loses $1,000HERO, loses $17,140I didn't feel as if blue had the nut flush or else he would have put in a stronger bet. Previous hands showed me that he wasn't much of a strong player unless he had the nuts and put in stronger bets. Maybe I'm wrong about that. My question is though, did I represent a strong hand on the turn, or was I too loose? Thanks in advance.

it doesn't matter if you seemed strong. he was ahead on the flop and would have called all-in at any point (quite correctly.) you should not have played this hand so aggressively. once he called on the flop, i'd throw a small bet in there on the turn to see his move and c/f the river.

sorry :(
It's okay. I meant it that we want you posting in the forum.Just learn the rules first, that's all.There's a link to the converter stickied at the top of the "general strategy" section. You can open the converter in another window and edit your original post.There is a tournament poker forum section, and this thread will be moved by a moderator eventually.Then your post will be where EVERYONE cares about tournament poker and we'll get all kinds of good discussion and feedback on it!

You definately played this hand to aggresively. You committed too many of your chips in a dangerous situation where you had no idea where you stood. The call on the flop should be a warning. It definately should have been on the turn too. Maybe bet a little less there, so you still have some money to play with if he comes over the top.

Agreed, you were too aggressive with this hand. I don't mind your bet on the flop, but the turn was too much. With three to a straight and a three flush on the board, suddenly the amount of hands that can beat yours has increased greatly. If he has the K or A of hearts to accompany a pair, your previous hand history with him would show that he is probably the kind of player who won't fold to this bet. Not to mention if he has the K of hearts, like he ended up having, he's picked up 8 more outs for his hand to beat yours. I would have to advise you to throw on the brakes with this dangerous of a board with a naked two pair.

I guess I counted on the fact he would have hit a dead card, without even calculating his outs. Bad on my part. Thanks for the replies, I definitely see where I went wrong.

I disagree with the sentiment here. Pretty much any decent-sized bet on the turn was going to commit you to the pot, so it really wouldn't have helped at all to commit less chips. I say that if you don't think he has the flush, (which he didn't), your best move is to jam on the turn to make sure you get paid off if he's drawing. There's not much you can do about him drawing out on you, but at least you'll be giving him a worse price to play with you.Oh, and also, do you always give a min. raise open from the button with Q-J suited in the later stages of a tournament? I'd say you definitely want to raise to 3 or 4 times the big blind with any real hand so that you give yourself a reasonable chance to steal.

Oh, and also, do you always give a min. raise open from the button with Q-J suited in the later stages of a tournament? I'd say you definitely want to raise to 3 or 4 times the big blind with any real hand so that you give yourself a reasonable chance to steal.This is a great point. I can't believe I missed it. Never EVER min raise.