People always say that, but in reality, most of their best players over the years were drafted by the Red Wings:Stevey YzermanSergei FedorovVladmir KonstantinovNicklas LidstromPavel DatysukHenrik ZetterbergTomas HolmstromJiri FischerChris OsgoodNiklas Kronwalletc. etc. etc.And picking up guys like Chelios, Shanahan, Schneider, Legace, Wooley, Lang, Draper (they got him for $1 from what I've read from Winnipeg) etc. were just great acquisitions on their part.Buying Hatcher was a horrible move. But he's gone.So yeah, they don't really just buy their team. They draft smartly. Interestingly enough, out of all those guys they drafted, I think only Yzerman was drafted really high up, and Kronwall and Fischer a bit too.Datsyuk and Zetterberg were taken in 6/7 rounds.

The Red Wings have the best overseas scouting in the league, they have for years. Hell we smuggled Sergei Fedorov in, then the douche turns his back on the team and held out that one year. Ken Holland is the best GM in the league though, he finds a way to get people to sign. Hatcher was a mistake, but we needed someone to teach Fischer how to play the role of a big defenseman. How about Manny Legace. I knew he was the best backup in the league for like two years. We're lucky that we were able to keep him for so long. I know it's early, but do you think Manny will get an All-Star nod?Go Wings.