Recently in my weekly $2-5 NL cash game I was up to about $700, it was gettin late and we were seven handed, when I raised to $20 from mid position with 8-8. A player who I respect (when he's not on tilt) went all-in from the button for about $200. Normally I would fold, but fortunately for me and the others at the table, he was on tilt and down a lot for the night. I felt strongly that he had A-K and didnt want to see a flop, just take it down right there (why else would he overbet so much?). If my read was correct, I had the best hand and I feel that if you have the edge (even such a small one as this) you've got to take advantage of it, even at the risk of a large stack hit. So I called and he turned over A-Q. He hit a Q on the flop and won the pot. I still finished up on the night but later found myself wondering if I could have saved $200 by folding and looking for a better opportunity as I was running well and felt I was outplaying the table. So the question in general is: is it ever correct to call with as slight an edge as pair vs overcards and more specifically was it correct in this situation. Sorry for the long post, but I really value highly this forum's opinion (for the most part) and any help is appreciated.

Recently in my weekly $2-5 NL cash game I was up to about $700,  it was gettin late and we were seven handed, when I raised to $20 from mid position with 8-8.  A player who I respect (when he's not on tilt) went all-in from the button for about $200.  Normally I would fold, but fortunately for me and the others at the table, he was on tilt and down a lot for the night.  I felt strongly that he had A-K and didnt want to see a flop, just take it down right there (why else would he overbet so much?).  If my read was correct, I had the best hand and I feel that if you have the edge (even such a small one as this) you've got to take advantage of it, even at the risk of a large stack hit. So I called and he turned over A-Q.  He hit a Q on the flop and won the pot.  I still finished up on the night but later found myself wondering if I could have saved $200 by folding and looking for a better opportunity as I was running well and felt I was outplaying the table.  So the question in general is: is it ever correct to call with as slight an edge as pair vs overcards and more specifically was it correct in this situation.  Sorry for the long post, but I really value highly this forum's opinion (for the most part) and any help is appreciated.
Fold.

I think DN and tons of other pros have said that if you are running well, it doesn't matter how up or down you are, you keep playing until the game turns bad. Phil Ivey is known for his marathon sessions when he feels he has his opponents on the ropes. As you (Smasharoo) pointed out for me: the game was definately good.

I think DN and tons of other pros have said that if you are running well, it doesn't matter how up or down you are, you keep playing until the game turns bad. Phil Ivey is known for his marathon sessions when he feels he has his opponents on the ropesNeither of those guys is calling with 88 there.Also, they're much better than you.

I think you made the correct play, if you were really that sure he had AK or AQ, then you have to call in that situation.
FOLD. he wasnt sure he had Ak or AQ he was hoping thats what he had. . why would u want to risk that much money when at best its a coinflip. most of the time you are either a coinflip or you are a 4-1 dog. he barely had any money in the pot. when people overbet so much they usually have AA KK or Ak. this kind of hand is why i always move in with AA or KK preflop if their is any chance that someone will call.
I think you made the correct play, if you were really that sure he had AK or AQ, then you have to call in that situation.
FOLD. he wasnt sure he had Ak or AQ he was hoping thats what he had. . why would u want to risk that much money when at best its a coinflip. most of the time you are either a coinflip or you are a 4-1 dog. he barely had any money in the pot. when people overbet so much they usually have AA KK or Ak. this kind of hand is why i always move in with AA or KK preflop if their is any chance that someone will call.
The guy was on tilt, he might of looked at 22-77 and figured "what the hell, I want to flop a set"

90% of the time he has 2 overs and possibly a bigger pair. since when did players on tilt not pick up 2 cards over 8 or a bigger pocket pair.hey if u or anyone else like getting $200 in on usually a coinflip at best situation go ahead.

If you could see his cards, sure, call him. It's slightly +EV and this is a cash game. But since you can't, why would you call a 40xbb raise? That's pretty retarded and people like you are the reason why pushing with a gross overbet preflop with AA and KK is more profitable than playing it like normal.

The guy was on tilt, he might of looked at 22-77 and figured "what the hell, I want to flop a set"
Or he saw AA KK or QQ and figured if he just raised or called, someone would flop 2 pair or better and beat him, so he wanted to just go all in pre-flop. Or he had AK AQ or if he was this far on tilt down to A-10 or K-J and didn't want to fold after missing the flop. There's way more hands here that have you dominated or even money and very very few that you are ahead of enough to call this ovetbet PF. Fold.