sklansky on tournaments or harrington?

Well, if you only play no limit holdem tournies, then you would probably want Harrington's. He covers alot of the same info, but without complicating it with advanced equations. The best part is that he puts everything in context of the situation such as blinds, the kind of players are behind and in front of you, and where the tourny is eg world series or sng or online big buy in, so you don't have to play to figure out exactly what he means from experience.Sklansky's covers general theory on tournies, so he covers examples from stud tournies and high low etc... If you are to the point where you do the equations on the fly like he discusses, then this book would be the one to get for sure. He has lots of interesting theories about different situations, and even a "how to play a tourny formula" for no limit holdem based on chip stacks and how many people are in and what specific cards you hold. It was just an experiment that seemed to work well in early trials, so he reformed it to make it more advanced, but never tried it, but just studying the formula provides incite into all of the things to think about before even playing a hand, especially before playing one all in preflop. Also, alot of the tourney info in this book is borrowed by Harrington's book.

Harrington by far (I have both). Sklansky I only learned a minimal amount from, I figured most of what he teaches the old fashioned way. Harrington's book is honestly the best I have seen yet.

I agree, if you want to know about No-Limit tournament play Harrington's book is by far the best. I have read tournament poker by both Slanksky and by McEvoy and both books have their good points. However, Harrington goes into great detail about his thought processes with certain hands and it is very beneficial.

harringon's pot odds examples alone are worth the purchase...anyone who has read it knows... the hand with AA against a raggedy flop. the way he calculated the math behind the call is incredible. i never really thought about pot odds that way. i have always been accustomed to putting them an a SINGLE hand then calculating from there. he uses entire probability distributions in his analysis.... good stuff.

Harrington by far (I have both). Sklansky I only learned a minimal amount from, I figured most of what he teaches the old fashioned way. Harrington's book is honestly the best I have seen yet.
I agree. I'm only partly through Harrington's book, but I REALLY like how he describes exactly what he would think as he plays a hand. He brings up things that I never thought about.

DH book by far. He is really good at explaining things in real world terms.I don't find many books that I will read over and over, but this one will for sure and I am about 2/3 the way though it.I was an average tourney/sng player online probably would increase my bankroll by about $100.00 a week on average playing $10 and $20 buyins.You know win some lose some weeks but staying afloat. Well I decided after reading his book about halfway through that I would start tracking myself in tourneys.Well these are the results so far:18 tourneys/sngs so far.Money in 14 of them with 12 final tables which is better than I was doing.Won 4 sngs, 2nd twice, 3rd once.Tourneys 2,3,4,6 and a 9th. Haven't won one of theses but it will come.I think the biggest part I have got to do is work on my final table game, hopefully the rest of the book or the re-read will help with that.