This is my biggest predicament in holdem. when i have like an AJ and raise pre-flop. and then the board is like 489. And the other guy just starts betting and i dont know what to do. Any comments would be helpful

Like all poker strategy, it depends on the situation. Typically, when an opponent bets, it means they have something...be it a pair or a draw. I read an author who noted that this is true roughly 85% of the time. Sometimes, your opponent throws that bet out there for information.That said, you have to determine how strong your opponent is and what type of player he/she is. If your opponent is capable of folding mediocre hands and you read him as weak, you should re-raise. If he's incapable of folding or you read him as being strong, fold.The pot odds also dictate your action. Are you getting the right odds to call/raise with two overcards and a backdoor straight draw?

I agree, A-J is a difficult hand to play against a ragged flop where there is action. I also agree, with the first response that, "it depends," however, that is a rather obvious quote when it comes to most poker situations. First, as is the case with most poker related problems, the more information you could provide with your specific problem the easier the solution would be. The most critical of these question would be what type of hold'em are we talking about, limit, no-limit or pot-limit? The answer to your problem would be heavily dependent on the limits we are addressing. If you are talking limit hold'em, raise to find out where the opponent is at. If they call you can figure them for having a piece of the flop or at least a draw. Your ability to read the turn and your opponent will make or break you in this situation.In no-limit/ pot-limit the answer turns more toward two things. Position and did you open raise or reraise? An open raise could mean you were going for the blinds if it came from late position and your opponent sees the ragged flop and bets figuring you for a weak hand and figures to pick up the pot uncontested. If you reraise, which is not a good idea with A-J unless you have a GREAT read on your opponent, you are most likely looking at a trap or a person who got caught on a post oak bluff. You have to decide which it is in the situation based on the patterns you have seen in previous hands.

Ive been playing limit games online, and havent really picked up any reads on the other players. This seems like the hand that breaks me the most. Because I want to call their bluff, but they always end up having very low pockets, or pair up a 3 or 4. I appreciate the help though. Im trying to build up my bankroll via .50/1 limit on doylesroom.com. my name is TimidTiger, id love to play against some of you guys...

• 4 weeks later...
This is my biggest predicament in holdem. when i have like an AJ and raise pre-flop. and then the board is like 489. And the other guy just starts betting and i dont know what to do. Any comments would be helpful
Pot odds pot odds pot odds.You have 2 overs == 6 outs. You are drawing dead to a set unless the flop is paired. 6 outs is roughly 24% to make your hand. That means that your call needs to be 24% of the pot or less to justify the call. If it's not, you say good hand and fold. If you are in a huge multi-way, you probably will have the odds to call.... however, AJ isn't that strong, you have two other possibilities, AK and AQ making your J the only real safe card for you, giving you 3 red-hot outs (and not even completely hot to the flop you mentioned) for 12%. Not too good. Lots of players lose lots of money in limit calling down to the river with AK to a lowball flop. Remember, position allows for players on the button to call with low-connectors and such, so it's not impossible that...1. Someone has pocket pair (any pair has you beat)2. Someone caught a set3. The button has low connectors and just 2-paired ya.