Jimmy Mcmillan The Rent Is Too Damn High Party

articlevideoother than the bothersome antisemitism what's not to love?ALBANY - Jimmy McMillan's notoriety is getting almost as high as the damn rent.The fringe gubernatorial candidate's debate-stealing performance Monday night made the Rent Is Too Damn High Party founder an instant celebrity - and a hot topic Tuesday on cable news programs and radio talk shows."This is a revolution," McMillan told the Daily News. "I didn't know it was going to explode like this."McMillan, 64, said he'd received calls from the "Imus in the Morning" radio program and Oprah Winfrey's radio show, among others, seeking interviews."If people had to vote tomorrow I would be the governor of the State of New York," McMillan said. "I can't wait to see what the polls look like."Republican operative Roger Stone, who is advising GOPer Carl Paladino and Anti-Prohibition contender and ex-madam Kristin Davis in the race, marveled at McMillan's performance."He's a cross between Isaac Hayes and Hulk Hogan," Stone said. "He's very entertaining."And his turn in the spotlight won him a key endorsement Tuesday - from the American Mustache Institute.A Vietnam War veteran and retired postal worker from Flatbush, Brooklyn, McMillan is no stranger to political campaigns. He has run for mayor at least three times and often has sparked controversy.In 1993, McMillan was arrested and later hospitalized after he scaled a cable on the Brooklyn Bridge with a knife.McMillan also has been accused of anti-Semitism, saying, among other things, that rents were being inflated by Jewish landlords who discriminated against non-Jews in Williamsburg."Mr. McMillan is somebody who has a proven record of posting anti-Semitic slurs," said Deborah Lauter of the Anti-Defamation League.McMillan apologized on his website but seemed unabashed in an interview with the Daily News Tuesday. "Jews were slave masters," he said. "They enslaved my people. You can't call me anti-Semitic."Sporting a throwback mustache and beard, and wearing black gloves - which he said were necessary because of his exposure to the chemical Agent Orange in Vietnam - McMillan provided some of the debate's most memorable moments. "It all boils down to one thing, rent: It's too damn high," McMillan said at one point.And asked if he backed gay marriage, McMillan quipped, "If you want to marry a shoe, I'll marry you."gblain@nydailynews.com

I saw this guy yesterday in the small cafe below my apartment. He was, uh, pretty easy to recognize. And, now that we're on the topic, I do pay a lot of money in rent. I guess I agree with his primary platform.

Yay! A novelty candidate with a slogan! "Rent: It's too damn high!"rent-480.jpgMindless populism! YES!I was going to run on the "********: They've Ruined Chicago" platform, but I couldn't grow the right facial hair to attract any media attention...

Yay! A novelty candidate with a slogan! "Rent! It's too damn high!"
You're clearly missing the subtleties here. While his main focus may seem broad and superficial, it's his nuances and niche positions where he really makes his case. For example, he has a nearly 95% approval rating from people who wish to marry shoes.
You're clearly missing the subtleties here. While his main focus may seem broad and superficial, it's his nuances and niche positions where he really makes his case. For example, he has a nearly 95% approval rating from people who wish to marry shoes.
I so, so hope he gets a meaningful percentage of the vote and influences the election. Also, he kinda ruins the whole "Vote For The Irish Name" method of choosing city officials whom you really know nothing about...Speaking of which, check out this old Harpers cover, where the Irish were considered to be the 19th Century Yin to the Negro yang as far as 'Primitive Man In America" goes...irish7.jpgThis is a good oneirish51.jpgAnd anotherirish.jpgIf I ever find myself inspired enough to have a 'lifes mission', it will be bringing cartoons like this back into the public discourse.
I so, so hope he gets a meaningful percentage of the vote and influences the election. Also, he kinda ruins the whole "Vote For The Irish Name" method of choosing city officials whom you really know nothing about...Speaking of which, check out this old Harpers cover, where the Irish were considered to be the 19th Century Yin to the Negro yang as far as 'Primitive Man In America" goes...irish7.jpgThis is a good oneirish51.jpgAnd anotherirish.jpgIf I ever find myself inspired enough to have a 'lifes mission', it will be bringing cartoons like this back into the public discourse.
See ghost world
articlevideoother than the bothersome antisemitism what's not to love?ALBANY - Jimmy McMillan's notoriety is getting almost as high as the damn rent.The fringe gubernatorial candidate's debate-stealing performance Monday night made the Rent Is Too Damn High Party founder an instant celebrity - and a hot topic Tuesday on cable news programs and radio talk shows."This is a revolution," McMillan told the Daily News. "I didn't know it was going to explode like this."McMillan, 64, said he'd received calls from the "Imus in the Morning" radio program and Oprah Winfrey's radio show, among others, seeking interviews."If people had to vote tomorrow I would be the governor of the State of New York," McMillan said. "I can't wait to see what the polls look like."Republican operative Roger Stone, who is advising GOPer Carl Paladino and Anti-Prohibition contender and ex-madam Kristin Davis in the race, marveled at McMillan's performance."He's a cross between Isaac Hayes and Hulk Hogan," Stone said. "He's very entertaining."And his turn in the spotlight won him a key endorsement Tuesday - from the American Mustache Institute.A Vietnam War veteran and retired postal worker from Flatbush, Brooklyn, McMillan is no stranger to political campaigns. He has run for mayor at least three times and often has sparked controversy.In 1993, McMillan was arrested and later hospitalized after he scaled a cable on the Brooklyn Bridge with a knife.McMillan also has been accused of anti-Semitism, saying, among other things, that rents were being inflated by Jewish landlords who discriminated against non-Jews in Williamsburg."Mr. McMillan is somebody who has a proven record of posting anti-Semitic slurs," said Deborah Lauter of the Anti-Defamation League.McMillan apologized on his website but seemed unabashed in an interview with the Daily News Tuesday. "Jews were slave masters," he said. "They enslaved my people. You can't call me anti-Semitic."Sporting a throwback mustache and beard, and wearing black gloves - which he said were necessary because of his exposure to the chemical Agent Orange in Vietnam - McMillan provided some of the debate's most memorable moments. "It all boils down to one thing, rent: It's too damn high," McMillan said at one point.And asked if he backed gay marriage, McMillan quipped, "If you want to marry a shoe, I'll marry you."gblain@nydailynews.com
Bout time we get some damn press.