a nl strategy question

OK. You are in a hand with two fairly junky cards. 4-6 :club: Generally you would not call a preflop raise with this BS, but you figure, what the heck, you'll hope you hit a nice flop that can break a big pair.You are up against a brand new preflop UTG+1 raiser and one MP Caller... you are on the button (hey at least you have position). You are playing in a 3/6 NL room.Flop comes 5 :D 7 :D 10 :D UTG+1 bets the pot, MP bails.... What do you do????????? Against two overcards, it's about a coin flip, so 2-1 on your money isn't bad with implied odds if you hit your hand. If he's got the overpair you are a 2-1 dog...

i'd call and see if the turn is any help. if it is he won't really suspect 6 4 at all. As you said, your looking for a way to break him. This is your chance. And he may be betting out with AK and may be intimidated by your call enough to check the turn. Once that happens then you can decide whether or not he's checking a high pocket pair to you or he's given up on his AK AQ hand

Not a good move pre flop. But now your in the hand your in it to win. If you want to follow it through(agg move) you might as well re raise the flop bet to get some more money into the pot(plus fold eq) and some more info on where your at. Calling is a bad move and you never get to find out where your at. Fold is perfectly acceptable as his bet is pushing you off the draw. Guess it comes down to your read but I say ditch and learn the lesson of junk hands to early position raises, most of the time the pre flop agg follows through on the flop always putting the decision on you.Note: Good move by him though. Showed agg pre flop and on the flop with the pot sized bet, he's putting you to the decision!

How is this a coin flip? Last time i checked the odds of hitting a str8 is about 2 to 1 against. Now he's giving you the correct odds to ditch it. Don't forget to consider negative implied odds, bc you'll be facing another bet on the turn. This is the easiest fold I've seen in a while. If for instance you have 2 overs and a str8 draw, then it's marginal call, but you may be able to make it if you have a read.

How is this a coin flip?  Last time i checked the odds of hitting a str8 is about 2 to 1 against.  Now he's giving you the correct odds to ditch it.  Don't forget to consider negative implied odds, bc you'll be facing another bet on the turn.  This is the easiest fold I've seen in a while.  If for instance you have 2 overs and a str8 draw, then it's marginal call, but you may be able to make it if you have a read.
I was going with the CardPlayer odds calculator. According to them, with this flop, if he has A-K unsuited, your odds are 50.6%-49.3% against... Part of my purpose of putting this up for discussion was also to consider if it's ever OK to make an all-in move here as a semi-bluff play. If you incorporate the fold equity of the play does it make it an OK move??? I dunno, it may be a really silly and costly play... just something to consider.IMHO, I totally agree that this is a very easy fold in a limit game, but I was just wondering if there's possibly a different way to play this in a no limit game.

I don't like an all in move here. A call is fine here - you're 32% to hit your straight. You're getting 3-1 on your call. Implied odds also work in your favor. This is an easy call for me.

i dont think i would have gotten involved with this hand to begin with but if im stuck i dont mind the re-raise at all since NL is mostly all about aggression...if you re raise and he has AK he will have to drop by putting you on a pp...or a very strong draw of some sort or even a set...NL to me is more about implied odds instead of pot odds becasue you usually never get the right price to call in NL but if you hit the implied odds are just ridiculous espically if he does have a big pair...i say either re raise to find out where you are or fold...if he reraises back or moves in you have to fold

How is this a coin flip?  Last time i checked the odds of hitting a str8 is about 2 to 1 against.  Now he's giving you the correct odds to ditch it.  Don't forget to consider negative implied odds, bc you'll be facing another bet on the turn.  This is the easiest fold I've seen in a while.  If for instance you have 2 overs and a str8 draw, then it's marginal call, but you may be able to make it if you have a read.
this is the dumbest comment i've seen in a while.yes the odds are 2 to 1 and even worse for hitting it soley on the turn. But say He has AA. your implied odds are huge.And you say your facing a bet on turn??? You don't know that idiot. You have position on this guy and he may be intimdiated enough to let you see the river for freeAlso idiot if you know anything about NL poker you'd know that just because someone bets the pot doesn't mean he has the high pocket pair. It is very common to bet the pot after you've missed, as in doyles book. If he has AK AQ he will surely check the turn if he misses unless he is a maniac and then you can easily put him off that even if you miss your straight. But you have to be sure he's giving up on the hand rather then being cautious with AA or KK not to go broke with it. Overall you have to know the player before you decided what to do on the turn. If he bets big on the turn and you miss then you can be sure he has a high pocket pair and he's not giving up on it. But be glad knowing that if you hit your straight he still probably would've bet big and you would've cleaned him out