Religimyth...

Well, then it's on us to make a thread that makes you think. I'll see what I can come up with.edit: see, I think your "Introspection" thread belongs in here.
I realized, belatedly, that that statement may have come off as rather snotty, as in "you fail at entertaining high-minded moi." I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean it that way at all. What I meant was that practically everyone in here, at one time or another, said something akin to "let me dumb it down for you..." Does anyone feel that this thread made them reconsider their beliefs or consider things from a new angle?At risk of this being taken totally out of context, Susan Sontag said, "I like to feel dumb. That's how I know there's more in the world than me." I like to feel dumb, too, because every time I feel dumb (that is, every time I feel I'm in the presence of genius), then it works to diminish my pride in my own intellect and also, like Sontag, it reminds me that the world is full of ideas I haven't even begun to think. I don't want to convince anybody of anything in particular. I want us all to shake up our comfortable views and take fresh looks at things together.
somebody could try teaching me why buddhist karma isn't effectively a metaphysical concept again. i still don't get it :club::ts
I'm not sure that it isn't. I suppose I could say that it holds just as true if it plays out within one lifetime as if it plays out across many. My own personal understanding of karma is practical rather than metaphysical, generally. I think of the quote, "Karma follows action as the back wheel of a wagon follows the front." Simple and inevitable. But I'm not aware that there is anything within Buddhism that specifically says karma can't be metaphysical. Buddhism may be somewhat less metaphysical than other paths, but it has its loopy side too.
You wouldn't be good at it SB, you aren't good at being arrogant
Awww, how sweet is this? And I'm doing it again -- coming in after a long absence with a long post. Sorry.
  • 5 months later...
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, how sweet is this? And I'm doing it again -- coming in after a long absence with a long post. Sorry.
Try not to do that.Okay?
Try not to do that.Okay?
For you, anything.