I'm curious to hear what people have to say about the pros and cons of NLHE 6 max vs. 9.Why would you prefer to play against a max of 6 instead of 9?Please add any, and all other opinions/comments. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

More hands are played in 6 max vs 9 max which means there are more marginal situations, which favors the better player.

More hands are played in 6 max vs 9 max which means there are more marginal situations, which favors the better player.
Interesting... So, this would be better for the loose, aggressive player than? Sorry... The "better" loose, aggressive player than? : )

6 max SIGNIFICANTLY favors better players because a basic winning strategy is often much more difficult to employ and therefore the game becomes more read dependent. I.E. in a hyper loose aggressive 9 handed ring game a TAG player will just about always win because of how tight he can afford to be, 6 max requires playing marginal hands in order to win and also increases peoples ranges which makes narrowing their holdings that much more challenging.

when asked this question, the autmatic response always seems to be 6max>9max, no question.How bout some talk about some of the advantages of 9 max? Is there anyone out there that plays mostly 9max?

I play 9 max exclusively.I have a few reasons for this:The first being that there is less variance playing 9 max - as others have pointed out at 6 max you have to play a wider range of hands and your opponents will be too, it's going to make for bigger swings.Another reason is that I can play more tables at one time at Full Ring then at 6 max (because I am spending more time folding and not playing Q,8suited from middle position.)And the final reason is that my natural game style is tight. 9 max allows me to play the range of cards that I am most comfortable playing. Ultimately, I think the advise given so far has been correct. For the "best" players the highest BB/100 can be found at 6 max. Thing is everyone thinks they are among the "best" players. Truth is there is a lot of real good players in the games these days. I've been playing for a while now(6 years live, and just under 80,000 cash hands online in 18 months or so) and have built my bankroll up to where I play 100NL online, but I don't consider myself one of the "best" - just slightly above average perhaps. I still learn things everytime I play when I am playing at Fullring. I do intend to try 6 max someday when I feel I need to change things up to keep improving. For me, once I feel I am more accomplished at Fullring - then I plan to spend some time at 6 max.(in order to become a more well rounded player). Perhaps for a naturally looser player, they would go about it in the opposite manner - start at 6 max and then one day try fullring. I don't neccessarily think it is a good idea to be switching back and forth all the time, and definitely don't be playing both types at the same time while multi-tabling!

I play 9 max exclusively.I have a few reasons for this:The first being that there is less variance playing 9 max - as others have pointed out at 6 max you have to play a wider range of hands and your opponents will be too, it's going to make for bigger swings.Another reason is that I can play more tables at one time at Full Ring then at 6 max (because I am spending more time folding and not playing Q,8suited from middle position.)And the final reason is that my natural game style is tight. 9 max allows me to play the range of cards that I am most comfortable playing. Ultimately, I think the advise given so far has been correct. For the "best" players the highest BB/100 can be found at 6 max. Thing is everyone thinks they are among the "best" players. Truth is there is a lot of real good players in the games these days. I've been playing for a while now(6 years live, and just under 80,000 cash hands online in 18 months or so) and have built my bankroll up to where I play 100NL online, but I don't consider myself one of the "best" - just slightly above average perhaps. I still learn things everytime I play when I am playing at Fullring. I do intend to try 6 max someday when I feel I need to change things up to keep improving. For me, once I feel I am more accomplished at Fullring - then I plan to spend some time at 6 max.(in order to become a more well rounded player). Perhaps for a naturally looser player, they would go about it in the opposite manner - start at 6 max and then one day try fullring. I don't neccessarily think it is a good idea to be switching back and forth all the time, and definitely don't be playing both times at the same time while multi-tabling!
I like this, good answerMy natural style is tight also, so 3-4 tables, 9-handed, premium cards and solid positon = profit.If you have some gamble and you hate fold, fold, fold, fold poker... 6-handed is the way to go.GL

6-max is good for people who want more action (poker action, that is).Full ring is good for people who can be very patient. The point about lower variance is also very relevent. People who are building a roll from a small deposit would be better off starting with full ring.