PokerStars Game #27902611333: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2009/05/06 19:48:32 ETTable 'Ida VI' 9-max Seat #9 is the buttonSeat 1: Mwv1115 ($2.27 in chips) Seat 2: Wolfman109 ($6.12 in chips) Seat 3: Terbiyesiz ($15.93 in chips) Seat 4: LeNaber ($4.86 in chips) Seat 5: rhcpcrony ($5.56 in chips) Seat 8: bouclio ($3.52 in chips) Seat 9: Joe Stewart ($5.63 in chips) Mwv1115: posts small blind $0.02Wolfman109: posts big blind $0.05*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Joe Stewart [Ts Tc]Terbiyesiz: raises $0.15 to $0.203 foldsJoe Stewart: calls $0.202 folds*** FLOP *** [7h 4h 8d]Terbiyesiz: bets $0.45Joe Stewart: raises $0.55 to $1Terbiyesiz: calls $0.55*** TURN *** [7h 4h 8d] [6c]Terbiyesiz: checks Joe Stewart: checks *** RIVER *** [7h 4h 8d 6c] [3d]Terbiyesiz: bets $2Joe Stewart: ???I didn't have many reads on anyone at that point, although I could tell by his avatar and chip count that he was a good aggressive player.Now I re-raised on the flop to see where i was in the hand, if he had a bigger overpair like Qs Ks or As he would then re-raise, if he was just c-betting he'd fold. I really didn't expect him to just call. I checked on the turn mainly for pot control, but also because suddenly his line screamed jacks. I knew that if a safe card came on the river he'd bet anything. He bet a large amount on the river, which either suggests a busted draw or jacks in my opinion. What's your line here.

first, convert your post. second, dont base your opinion of players based on their avatar and chipstack. even if it's a guy behind a pile of chips like he just won a tournament, i can get on google and find a million pics like that. i can also find a million sucktards who've won a tournamentyour flop raise is horribly weak, and hardly anything is folding to it, so i dont think you can really make a read based off that.your check on the turn screams weak pair/draw, so he's probably going to bet the river with a pretty wide range. i think if you're checking the turn you have to call the river.

Yeah, I could have bet the turn, but I wasn't sure where I was. Plus I wanted to represent a draw so if a seemingly safe card came, he'd bet with air.

Yeah, I could have bet the turn, but I wasn't sure where I was. Plus I wanted to represent a draw so if a seemingly safe card came, he'd bet with air.
you cant do that and then fold the river

the problem with raising flop and then checking turn is that it really doesn't make any sense in respect to what you have. You showed aggression when you raised on the flop and then when he checks turn you almost have to bet because you get so much more information for one he could fold a hand like AK AQ because he didn't hit, he could raise in which case you can figure your beat and finally if he flat calls he will most likely be checking the river as well and with a marginal hand like tens you could check behind on the river. Also your raise size on the flop isn't big enough i would probably make it any where between $1.50 and $2 to go because then he is definalty throwing a hand like AK AQ. As for your turn check for pot control you really can't decide to control the pot size after you raised the flop when an under card comes. As for the river he could very well think you missed hearts or something and be betting with AK. A lot of the lower stakes players find it nearly immpossible to get away from a hand like that especially when you showed weakness on the turn. Hope this is helpful for you.

In the end I did make the call, and he turned over pocket nines. So I should have bet the turn but I thought he had Jacks.

In the end I did make the call, and he turned over pocket nines. So I should have bet the turn but I thought he had Jacks.
you should put players on a range of hands instead of specific hands. then figure how your hand rates against their range. unless their actions lead to exactly one hand, and that's very rare. even then, if they're good players they may know this and be bluffing. or they may be bad players and not know it and be bluffing. besides, your raise on the flop doesn't do much to help put villain on range of hands, much less a specific hand.
I didn't have many reads on anyone at that point, although I could tell by his avatar and chip count that he was a good aggressive player.
:club: You don't really beat much at the turn except whiffed overs. I think betting there and checking are both meh. Meh spot. You have to call the river bet.