Bad play or bad luck? Bubble strategy

Online Single Table Tourney, pays 3 places. 4 players left, Blinds 300/600, not going up soonSmall Blind (me) 1,600 TC (after blind)Big Blind 10,000UTG 1,630Button 5,500UTG has built his stack from about 500 through a series of all ins that he won without showdown and then tightened up a little.Big blind has been pretty conservative, calling a lot but not bullying or chasing with weak hands.I've been folding every hand watching other short stacks bust out on their all-ins, and it should be obvious to UTG that I'm not playing anything as long as he will blind out before me.My pockets...AK offsuit. UTG goes all in, button folds, to me in the SB. If I fold and the BB calls either I'm in the money or in desperation mode myself, since I will blind out before him. If I fold and BB folds UTG has picked up the blinds, and I will blind out first if I dont win a hand.If I play against UTG only I'm in good shape, he probably doesnt have a pair, in fact most likely Ax or Ax suited. If I play against BB and UTG I may be in a 3 way race, with at least one of the two (probably BB) with a pair.I decide that I can't trust BB to call, and I'm not going to get any better than AK to gamble with , assuming UTG survives , so I call. BB calls also! The hands? UTG AT off BB A4 off!!!!!!!!! Of course a 4 flops , no Ks or Ts on the board, and BB wins, knocking us both out, but I'm in 4th because of UTGs extra 30 TC.First question...With his stack lead and getting a little better than 2/1 on his money BB call looks borderline to me. He is increasing the stack of whoever wins it (unless its him) by 50%, up to over 5k in TC, and he has to play against two stacks of that size. If he wins, of course, he has the button heads up with a 3/1 chip lead. Would anyone else play A4 off in his position?Second question...Should I have taken a chance on BB calling , folded and save my TC to see the outcome of this hand?

for what its worth: I make that play.Read was dead on for UTG. I don't make the play BB made. (Usually)If last too act, same situation, I fold and become a fan of the BB. Sometimes I think thats too conservative.

Mr Big Stack realized that both you and the UTG player were desperately low in chips. For this reason, he rightfully felt that you would be pressured into betting with any decent hand that popped up. And since he had you both covered by so much, he was not risking much of his stack to call.I feel that you should have called the UTG's all-in with any Ace yourself. So with AK in your hand, you can not miss this opportunity to knock out your opponent and put yourself in the money. Your call was certainly correct.My only recommendation would be to not allow your stack to dwindle so much in the first place. If you had more chips, the Big Stack would not have called your bet with such a marginal hand since it would cause him too much damage if he had lost.--cnm

I think that the BB should not have called this. If short-stacks have gone all-in before him, there is probably a very small chance that he is a favorite, let alone being crushed. By calling, he is most likely going to give a short stack a lot more chips to work with. On the issue of you making the call, it was an absolute must. You are very unlikely to pick up a better hand, so you must make your move then. That was just very bad luck. Better luck in the future.

I think that the BB should not have called this. If short-stacks have gone all-in before him, there is probably a very small chance that he is a favorite, let alone being crushed. By calling, he is most likely going to give a short stack a lot more chips to work with. Nah, gap theory. He should call with a wide range of hands here including any pair over 55.