I wasn't saying to do that as a standard. In this situation I think it would have been fine to take a stab. If you get called, check it on the turn. If you get raised, drop it like a hot potato. What's the sense in checking it down and hitting your set on the river against a lowball straight draw? You let the guy who stayed in with 4 5 draw to his open ended straight on the turn and make the miracle on the river. Now you're screwed regardless. With all of the checking in front of him on the flop, a small bet would've driven quite a few of the players out of the pot. Including possibly the guy with 4 5. I can't see anyone in their right mind calling any bet on that flop with 4 5.You guys are almost too cautious sounding to me. Yes, the smart play is to check it, but he ends up in this dilemma on the river and makes a post about it. JMHO.Edit: I also don't see much of a problem raising preflop with this hand in late position. That would make a continuation bet on the flop be worth while.
Firstly, raising this preflop would have been fine. In this case hopefully we would have thinned the field allowing us to represent a hand like AK or KJ with a bet on the flop if we could get the pot HU or maybe 3 handed.The thing is you are being results based by saying he should have bet the flop here to chase out the 45. Ask yourself what your answer would have been if he had posted this hand with the action on him on the flop with an underpair against 4 opponents and two broadway cards on the flop. I guarantee nobody would have chosen betting as the optimal play.
Firstly, raising this preflop would have been fine. In this case hopefully we would have thinned the field allowing us to represent a hand like AK or KJ with a bet on the flop if we could get the pot HU or maybe 3 handed.The thing is you are being results based by saying he should have bet the flop here to chase out the 45. Ask yourself what your answer would have been if he had posted this hand with the action on him on the flop with an underpair against 4 opponents and two broadway cards on the flop. I guarantee nobody would have chosen betting as the optimal play.
I agree with that. I'm just saying from his position with checks up to him, I would've taken a small risk and threw a small bet. 99% of the time I would play it the way he did and check it. Believe me, I'm not that stupid to do it everytime. There's nothing wrong with doing a semi-bluff in certain spots I think. Yes, the smart and true play is check that like there's no tomorrow. You gotta take risks now and then, even if they might be unnecessary.