LOL I just thought of that david chappelle sketch..at any rate, if this big budget action movie does anything but suck large monster balls I'll be pleasantly surprised.
That is what I love about people who goto the movies, the 5-20$ (prices range between 1-2 people and include the cheap afternoon show) spent on the movie is all about giving us time to escape our lives and enjoying something out of the world, but I've always noticed people like to be critical of work. This sucked, bla bla bla, etc, etc, etc...Just remember you goto a movie not to be enlightened by a piece of film, if you do you wouldn't be going to see a monster movie either, so just remember the 20$ you've spent for your companion and you to go see the movie is recharging time from life, enjoy the escape from your lives together, and remember hey we could always be stuck in this movie :-p.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I love about people who goto the movies, the 5-20$ (prices range between 1-2 people and include the cheap afternoon show) spent on the movie is all about giving us time to escape our lives and enjoying something out of the world, but I've always noticed people like to be critical of work. This sucked, bla bla bla, etc, etc, etc...Just remember you goto a movie not to be enlightened by a piece of film, if you do you wouldn't be going to see a monster movie either, so just remember the 20$ you've spent for your companion and you to go see the movie is recharging time from life, enjoy the escape from your lives together, and remember hey we could always be stuck in this movie :-p.
Sorry, I just don't buy that I should go and watch a movie uncritically, mindlessly consuming anything and everything that comes up on the screen. I'm not saying I have to be enlightened by a movie, I'll settle for entertained.
Sorry, I just don't buy that I should go and watch a movie uncritically, mindlessly consuming anything and everything that comes up on the screen. I'm not saying I have to be enlightened by a movie, I'll settle for entertained.
Agreed. Part of the experience of art and fiction has always been to discuss it and critique it. That's how you incorporate its meaning into your life. We are also consumers of a product that is sold to us based on small snippets and trailers. If that product fails to meet our expectations, we are entitled to complain.
Agreed. Part of the experience of art and fiction has always been to discuss it and critique it. That's how you incorporate its meaning into your life. We are also consumers of a product that is sold to us based on small snippets and trailers. If that product fails to meet our expectations, we are entitled to complain.
Not everything is suppose to have meaning in your life...Thats the beauty of film, mindless escapism is the greatest part about it, also I believe going to the movie is more about the company you spend it with then what's on the screen. But my arguement is more the plus juan, instead of being a true arguement on film. I just think that you can have fun without having to have a deep story in a movie, ala Pathfinder, horrible way they told the story, not award winning acting, but still was a fun piece to watch (but I love numbing violence).
Not everything is suppose to have meaning in your life...Thats the beauty of film, mindless escapism is the greatest part about it, also I believe going to the movie is more about the company you spend it with then what's on the screen. But my arguement is more the plus juan, instead of being a true arguement on film. I just think that you can have fun without having to have a deep story in a movie, ala Pathfinder, horrible way they told the story, not award winning acting, but still was a fun piece to watch (but I love numbing violence).
I just can't disagree more about this. I see no reason why entertainment or escape has to be mindless. I don't go to movies to laugh with friends or to make out with girls or chit chat. If the movie is a good one, I completely forget I'm with someone else, if I am with them at all ( there are exceptions to this, of course.. when I go to a movie that serves beer, or a really bad/campy movie that I go for ironical purposes). I Guess I'm just tired of big budget disaster/monster movies that come out every year that have some shiny marketing that get people all excited about it but they all almost universally suck ***. I'm as big of fan of Irony as anyone, but the humor of watching bad big budget disaster movies has almost completely worn out. Maybe this movie will be different, maybe it will transcend the genre but If I were a betting man ( and I am) I'd bet on "suck".
I Guess I'm just tired of big budget disaster/monster movies that come out every year that have some shiny marketing that get people all excited about it but they all almost universally suck ***. I'm as big of fan of Irony as anyone, but the humor of watching bad big budget disaster movies has almost completely worn out. Maybe this movie will be different, maybe it will transcend the genre but If I were a betting man ( and I am) I'd bet on "suck".
Meh i partially feel the same way, i dont go to the movies much, rather rent on dvd unless im really pumped up to see it. This movie will more than likely see since ive been curious about it since i saw the trailer, and since they are being so secretive about everything including the title. The marketing campaign is genious for this movie, with all the hints on various websites and all the myspace pages they set up for all the characters they doing a good job. Also this movie wasnt a "big budget" movie since its only estimated at 30 million. Which ironically is how much that billy walsh needed to make Medellin.
Meh i partially feel the same way, i dont go to the movies much, rather rent on dvd unless im really pumped up to see it. This movie will more than likely see since ive been curious about it since i saw the trailer, and since they are being so secretive about everything including the title. The marketing campaign is genious for this movie, with all the hints on various websites and all the myspace pages they set up for all the characters they doing a good job. Also this movie wasnt a "big budget" movie since its only estimated at 30 million. Which ironically is how much that billy walsh needed to make Medellin.
If this movie turns out to be Cthulu then I will see it, otherwise.. meh.
well jj did say this will be a original monster and rumors are now starting to float around that it could be a cthulu type monster. I guess we will just wait and see.
I can't stand that word meh, but I give the fact we don't really have the best selection of alternate words for the situation. Anyways to the plus juan.

An RT moment: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloverfield/news/1659530/

J.J. Abrams Project Title Mystery Solved?Untitled J.J. Abrams Project gets closer to "titled" status. Maybe.by Jeff Giles | August 03, 2007Blog Article | Discuss Article Say what you will about his followthrough, but J.J. Abrams knows how to set up a project. He's established himself as something of a trailblazer for viral ads, littering the Web with various Lost-related content, and he's using the same tactics to create buzz for his next film production -- so much buzz, in fact, that the thing doesn't even have an official title yet, and that's news, as Slashfilm's Peter Sciretta recently learned firsthand.How intense is the speculation surrounding the film (referred to, up 'til now, as 1-18-08 or Cloverfield)? As Sciretta posted at Slashfilm on Tuesday, enterprising fans have been poring over copyright registration paperwork. (We can just hear our mothers now: "If you only gave that kind of effort to your homework...") Anyway, an attorney named Lori N. Boatright has registered a trademark for the title Overnight, and this just happens to be the same Lori Boatright who did the same for the trademarks protecting Abrams' Bad Robot production company, as well as a pair of slogans thought to be connected with the upcoming movie.Translation? It seems like a pretty safe bet that 1-18-08/Cloverfield is actually going to be called Overnight -- or that someone wants to make a bunch of hyper-caffeinated movie afficionados think that's what it'll be called, which would be sort of a mean trick, but also very funny.How big is the story? Big enough to land Sciretta on a segment of CNBC's On the Money. Whether this movie is any good obviously remains to be seen, but even if it turns out to be the worst release of 2008, it'll be valuable as an example of exactly how to market a film.
dude, 1-18-08. come on.
Dude, it's okay. He's just a master granger.
Someone doesn't understand the art of farming? The fact you haven't kept your post on the first page, means that a new farmer can take the information and make it, his own...That is rule 1 of the farming convention of 04 thread posters.
So who thinks with the new developements that it could be potentially an American Gamera? To the top with you
Sorry, I don't follow - how do you get from Overnight to Gamera? Or did I miss something.

Its not that large in 1.2k by 1k format, or is it because you're on dial up? Since Invo-Board was created and is used on here, there is a way to shut off single posters or all poster's sig images...Just an FYI

Its not that large in 1.2k by 1k format, or is it because you're on dial up? Since Invo-Board was created and is used on here, there is a way to shut off single posters or all poster's sig images...Just an FYI
I don't like you.
all I know is that your obnoxiously large sig still makes you the only member of my ignore list
ya it's too big and very annoying, be considerate and get rid of it or just size it down. It's ugly anyways.
  • 2 weeks later...