Trips Against Possible Turned Straight

Villain has only been at the table a short time. I haven't seen any showdowns from him, so I have no reads.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)SB ($5.08)Hero ($5.69)UTG ($3.20)UTG+1 ($0.73)MP1 ($1.67)MP2 =#A500AF(Villain)/ ($4.98)MP3 ($1.90)CO ($5.19)Button ($12.78)Preflop: Hero is BB with 6club.gif, 6diamond.gif. UTG calls $0.02, 2 folds, MP2 =#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08, CO calls $0.08, Button calls $0.08, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.06, UTG calls $0.06.Flop: ($0.49) 7club.gif, 6heart.gif, 5club.gif(6 players)Hero bets $0.3, UTG folds, Villain calls $0.30, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds.Turn: ($1.09) 9spade.gif(2 players)Hero bets $0.55, Villain raises to $1.1, Hero...Pretty obvious he made a straight. Possible 9 outs for a most likely win (full house), 1 out for a definite win (quads), and a possible 3 outs for a push. Seems the expressed odds are right and the implied odds are very good. Please comment on my play, and how would you play this going forward?

3 of a kind with two in your hand like 66 on 567 board is actually called a set, trips is like having A9 on a 992 board.Anyway, you should still call his minraise, and regardless of what the river is (you're obviously hoping to boat or quad up) you should be checking to the villain. If he bets and you boat, shove. If he bets big and you miss, then I'd be folding. And I agree with potting the flop. You're basically getting all his money every time you boat or quad, so you shouldn't be folding for a minraise.Also, don't be so sure he has a straight. He did raise preflop, so it would depend on how he's playing. Most likely he would have to have 88 here to have a straight, which is possible, but he doesn't have to have it. Probably does though.

Bet more on the flop. You need to at least pot it with straight and flush draws out there. Turn is a call.
Thanks. Point taken. Give smaller pot odds to the draws. What do you think about my turn bet size?
3 of a kind with two in your hand like 66 on 567 board is actually called a set, trips is like having A9 on a 992 board.Anyway, you should still call his minraise, and regardless of what the river is (you're obviously hoping to boat or quad up) you should be checking to the villain. If he bets and you boat, shove. If he bets big and you miss, then I'd be folding. And I agree with potting the flop. You're basically getting all his money every time you boat or quad, so you shouldn't be folding for a minraise.Also, don't be so sure he has a straight. He did raise preflop, so it would depend on how he's playing. Most likely he would have to have 88 here to have a straight, which is possible, but he doesn't have to have it. Probably does though.
I stand corrected on the trips/set. :club: I see your thinking on the river action. Very good stuff. I will remember that in the future. Would you concur with money on the flop bet size? How about the turn bet?
I see your thinking on the river action. Very good stuff. I will remember that in the future. Would you concur with money on the flop bet size? How about the turn bet?
I bet the pot on the flop almost 100% of the time.The turn bet is fine. You can't check and let someone push you around if they only have a flush draw or something like 97.After the minraise the hand plays as I said above.
Also, don't be so sure he has a straight. He did raise preflop, so it would depend on how he's playing. Most likely he would have to have 88 here to have a straight, which is possible, but he doesn't have to have it. Probably does though.
As it turned out Villain did have the straight with 88, good read. The river was a 5 to paired the board and give me a boat, sixes over fives. I was able to felt Villain by putting him all in when I bet his stack size (3.50 into a 3.29 pot) and he called. Wasn't a good play though, as I could have lost him on that bet. I should have played as you mentioned above. That is a much better play. Thanks for the insight.
As it turned out Villain did have the straight with 88, good read. The river was a 5 to paired the board and give me a boat, sixes over fives. I was able to felt Villain by putting him all in when I bet his stack size (3.50 into a 3.29 pot) and he called. Wasn't a good play though, as I could have lost him on that bet. I should have played as you mentioned above. That is a much better play. Thanks for the insight.
I was actually going to say leading out on the river might be better than checking if you hit the boat. A passive villain may tighten up if the board pairs and check behind. But I don't think they will fold a straight very often if you just lead out. I'd really hate myself if I hit and get nothing out of it.
I was actually going to say leading out on the river might be better than checking if you hit the boat. A passive villain may tighten up if the board pairs and check behind. But I don't think they will fold a straight very often if you just lead out. I'd really hate myself if I hit and get nothing out of it.
As it turned out it worked so in this situation against this villain it didn't really matter. Although the paired board certainly gives a potential for a full and, if I had the straight I might be a little hesitant to call an all in bet at that point, depending on the situation.