raising the nut flush draw for value...

My brain would hurt too much to do the math on this, so help me out. If you're in late position with A8s and the flop comes with two of your suits (4 to the flush), when is it correct to raise for value? I will often do the freecard play in this situation, but when is a raise correct regardless of your position? How many opponents are needed in a pot for a flop raise (when you're last faced with a bet) to be correct? I personally do it with 4 other players, but I'm just guessing on its correctness.

You have a 35% chance of making your flush. That's 1.75 to 1 against making it. With 2 opponents you're getting 2 to 1 on your money, assuming that both call. Worst case scenario, you get reraised and the other player folds, in which case your EV just went negative. Best case scenario, everyone folds to the raise and you win right now.Of course, you have to consider the possibility that you have 3 aces as outs to win as well and discount to the relatively small chance of catching your flush and losing to a redraw.Personaly I don't like a value raise against few opponents for a different reason: If the flush doesn't come on the turn, your raise has probably made a call correct, even if you're now heads up. You've increased your edge at the cost of greater variability. This is fine if you have a large bankroll but if you're concerned about fluctuations this can present a problem.

How many players in the pot are needed to constitute a raise out of position just for value sake? I usually don't count the ace as a clean out. Obviously, I'm thinking long term here as a short term player doesn't probably care much about this.