what a pot limit 08 fish i am

Do you guys ever make calls or plays in online poker that YOU KNOW are incorrect? You're bored, feeling froggy, and you're feeling like you should huckle somebody because all good players everywhere have been huckled too many times in online poker. When us good players huckle bad players it's righteous.Well something like that happened to me. I was bored, and saw an intriguing but probably unplayable hand in the big blind. I said to myself, "ya know, TJ, I'm glad we got this in the big blind because now we can DEFINITELY play it, and if it was dealt anywhere else we'd probably have to fold it."Of course that means it got raised. But it was only the minimum raise... and we're posted for half that anyway...And then it got reraised double the minimum of that. That was when I decided I was definitely calling. No way they were pushing me off this fun little hand. And, of course, me being the huckle fish that I am... absolutely destroyed the flop in every possible way imaginable.(The converter is having problems, says that everyone folded preflop, so I'll just post the partypoker hand history).***** Hand History for Game 1853048280 *****$25 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Wednesday, April 06, 07:27:12 EDT 2005theharvmon posts small blind [$0.1].TJEckleburg posts big blind [$0.25].** Dealing down cards **Dealt to TJEckleburg [ Qd 3d As Qs ]Now tell me that's not pretty. The suited cards are even next to each other, so you KNOW it's double suited. The ladies have always been good to me in hold'em (and life), so I figured that carries over here.Cyborg00 folds.wavecarver folds.BbeatCatcher folds.cozofu folds.hankied raises [$0.5].CaptnGoatse folds.HoldemJakAce raises [$1].luckydw folds.theharvmon folds.TJEckleburg calls [$0.75].hankied calls [$0.5].No way I'm folding for a mininum raise and a *barely* minimum re-raise.** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, 2s, Js ]Sigh. Top set, nut flush draw, backdoor nut low draw. Time for the sexiest move in pot limit poker...TJEckleburg checks.hankied checks.HoldemJakAce bets [$2].TJEckleburg raises [$8.95].hankied folds.HoldemJakAce calls [$6.95]....The ol' check-pot-repot. I get one customer.** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]Turn gives me the nut flush and four to the nut low. I still have top set. And of course I'm giggling like a banshee.TJEckleburg is all-In [$17]HoldemJakAce folds.TJEckleburg shows [ Qd, 3d, As, Qs ] a flush, ace high.TJEckleburg wins $36.95 from the main pot with a flush, ace high.There was no qualifying low hand.In retrospect, I could have checked the turn and see if I could talk him into doing something stupid, because realistically there isn't a whole lot that could have come off that I'd be seriously worried about. I kinda felt bad for the guy though because I called a raise and a re-raise with that and absolutely demolished the board. Oh well. I definitely had +$11.05 worth of fun with the hand. Hope y'all did too ( :

I'm having trouble seeing any fault in how you played this hand. My opinions (whatever they are worth):The pre-flop call is fine, as that is a very good hand (not the greatest but much better than average).After the flop, I like the raise you did here. No sense letting someone make a big straight here for cheap (you don't have your flush as of yet). Plus, you get rid of any other low draws that might be thinking of hoping to catch runner-runner.After the turn, you've got the high pretty much wrapped up (barring a full on the river), so time to get any remaining low draws out of there, just in case. I would have done the same thing here also.I love/hate Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, depending on which side of the fence I am on in hands just like these. Protection is key in hands like this, as the river can be very cruel. I never try to string along in Pot Limit, as you are asking for disaster. I'd take ten $36.95 pots with limited risk over one $369.50 pot with a ton of risk any day (mostly because of my bankroll, but also because I'm a pussy...lol) :wink:

In re-thinking it, I've probably made more suspect preflop calls in my day with hands less than a suited ace, face-card pair, and A3 working for a low. The point is it was one of those hands we get attached to preflop and say to ourself "I'm DEFINITELY not folding for two BS little bitty raises" and it was one of those hands where the board came down perfect.O/8 is such a board-defined game that stuff like that can happen for an above average hand, which AsQsQ3 certainly is. I just thought it was funny that everything came down just right at exactly the time I picked to be incorrect in my preflop decision making.Yes, wrto, it probably is tilt. Not "5 one-outers in a row for 40BB+ pots" tilt, but "this game is so mind-numbingly boring waiting for nut-nut" tilt. Gotta watch out for that. As the fish say... any 4 cards can win, so by all means play any 4 cards preflop... especially for a raise and a re-raise, because that gives you even better odds. [sw]

It's not really tilt.Call it tilt when you make that same play and get called by top two pair or a fourth-nut low (because you will, quite often)Its the correct play in those games, and its the reason its such a profitable game if you have the patience for it.

TJ,i'm surprised you think that was a bad play.in limit, AQQ3 double-suited is a very playable hand (though i wouldn't call two cold with it).you have to realize that in deep-stack PLO8, you can play many more hands. specifically, you can and should play many more A3's, 23's, and A4's as long as the rest of the hand is redeeming.why? implied odds. same reason Axs and suited connectors are very valuable in NLHE.pre-flop: i would call two min raises anyday in PLO8 with AQQ3 double-suited. implied odds say that if i hit hard, i will win a big pot. this is also a decently strong scooping hand, so again, implied odds say that if i hit a scooping flop, i'm picking up a big pot. this effect is magnified because there were two preflop raises, and preflop raisers have a hard time laying down hands usually.flop: perfect check-raise.turn: i'm not sure why you bet so aggressively here. your hand will only lose to quads. sure, you don't really slowplay much in o8, but this is just the ideal situation where you will almost definitely scoop (if no low hits or if you hit your nut low) or three-quarter (if you hit your nut low) since:1. flushes are very strong hands in that they can't be quartered.2. you have the nut redraw to top boat.why are you betting so aggressively here?? if you know he would call, sure, bet, but bet for value to make sure he doesn't fold. you WANT a call in this. remember, this is a cash game, so it's all about equity and long-term EV. hell, even in a tournament, he is most likely drawing dead to you and you want a call.i'm really surprised by the turn play.regardless, this isn't a fish hand at all. get used to playing more hands in PLO8 because of the implied odds.aseem

Yeah I see really no fault in your play besides your nut busting turn raise! I know you have the best hand but seriously, keep it in your pants next time.A3QQ double suited is a good hand to play preflop. Good pair, decent low draw, double suited to the nut flush in one and 3rd flush in the other.Again only thing KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS STALLION!

Well geez... I guess I'll learn something new everyday. I kinda thought it'd be bad to call a raise and a re-raise with anything less than a monster starting hand, and while AsQsQ3 isn't bad, it wasn't quite as monstrous as I would have liked. Looks like I ended up flopping and turning a monster though.Definitely a lot to be said for implied odds. I guess one very shining merit for my hand was it had several nutty draws... and I definitely nailed them all. I guess I would have vomitted all over the keyboard if I'd folded and saw that board come down.

Keep it in your pants next time!hee hee.I guess I thought I made something of a mistake calling at the time and flopped nothing less than a miracle and kinda felt bad about it. I'm no longer going to feel bad for customers when I've nutted all over their face on the high and low ends.

Definitely completely understandable. I'm just an arrogant little expletive. I derive a certain sadistic pleasure from letting my opponent know how truly crushed he is whenever he enters a pot with me.Meh, at low limit online people don't have the attention span to try and put a book on me, so I usually don't care.

I may be the only one who doesn't like the almost $9 re-raise on the flop. You have top set. You have the entire pot at this moment. But Omaha is a game of draws, so let's look at the draws against you...the flush draw, which you have the nuts of. No worries there. A low? runner-runner and you have the nut low too unless your 3 gets counterfeited. If anything there you're taking half of what they put in for the low half the pot and you get 3/4 instead of the whole thing. IF they have an A3. All kinds of straight draws. This is the only place I'd be worried. But they have 2 less outs than usual (about 6 outs total here) to hit, and even if they do happen to, you then have a ton of outs. Any pair on board or spade then gives you the nuts (something like 19-20 outs). With all of this going for you, why raise this much? I would kinda want the other guy in the hand as well. I'm not against a check/raise here, by any means, but a smaller c/r may look like a draw or weakness and you may get more action.