An Excerpt From My Book

Already pre-ordered from Amazon! Two books, actually ... More Hold Em Wisdom for All Players , with a release date of May, 2008, and Power Hold Em Strategy , with a release date of March 21, 2008.King's book is good, and even professional writers continue to read books like that to improve their game, so offering writing advice is constructive and not at all out of line. My favorite writing advice is from George Orwell's famous and brilliant essay "Politics and the English Language." He argues that sloppy language makes it possible for us to have sloppy thinking, and sloppy thinking leads us to fall victim to demagoguery and ultimately fascism. Here are his rules on writing: short, sweet, and to the point.(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. (ii) Never us a long word where a short one will do.(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

• 2 months later...

I've just read Hold'em Wisdom for All Players, and because I do this with virtually every book I read I have compiled a list of errors. You may not agree with all of these but nonetheless they are as follows:pg 56 Ponder this one: Having (Ponder this one: having)pg 79 Calling with the Worse Hand (the Worst Hand)pg 88 Here are a couple of final thoughts on the topic. (fragment, needs to change or be removed)pg 88 And keep your fingers crossed. (another fragment, include in preceeding sentence)pg 93 one thing in common; (':' not ';')pg 108 your opponent's hand, too, you may (your opponent's hand also, you may)pg 109 For a check-raise to work, you have to know, or have a very strong suspicion, that your opponent, will, in fact bet if you check. ('that your opponent will in fact bet if you check' is better)pg 109 you've just given him a free card that might just cost you the pot. (might cost you the pot)pg 132 required $300 big bets (300 big bets)pg 135 his bet tells you that (his call tells you that)(I remember this hand verses Ted Forrest!)pg 139 if you make good decisions in the short-term, you'll make a decent profit in the long run. (I appreciate the juxtaposition of short-term and long run, but 'in the short-term' is meaningless here and may be omitted)pg 142 I mean, really, if you can't check-raise your mother, what kind of player are you anyway? (I mean really)(great quote though!)pg 161 do's and don'ts (no apostrophe for dos, if it seems awkward so you might write it as 'Dos and Don'ts')I don't mean this to be offensive, it is a good book and I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work.Regards,Mark.