All verbal declarations in turn are binding.You said raise, so you're raising. It's not that you CAN put chips in, you MUST put chips in. Since you did not declare the amount you are still at liberty to decide what it is.As a tournament director, this [bALONEY] your friends pulled really pisses me off. They were OBVIOUSLY limping in with weak hands and wanted to get in as cheap as possible. This is why poker players annoy the bejeezus out of me sometimes: the nonstop angle shooting supposedly made because they just care about the rules more than the other guy, when they really jsut want to game the system to get what they want.Please, that stopped being cool when annie duke did.You were right. You are given permission for ONE blazing middle finger to be directed at the table.

why u felt the need to put out your BB??
Some people like to do this to help others know how much more it is OVER the big blind they have to call. I often do this when the pot is getting big, or when the blinds and antes are huge and the $$$ is getting a bit more complex, so when I announce "raise", I'll put the amount I have to call out first, and then carefully announce my next bet so the villian, the table, and the dealer know EXACTLY then amount to call.I also think it's good practice because you arn't rushing anything, your taking time to make sure your bets are correct. Plus, if you are bluffing, makes it look like you have a big hand because of your percieved "carefullness" ;)But as long as you announce, "raise" before you place out your call, then you are fine.
Oh... since I said "raise", they made me put in a min raise. Forgot that.
If you accidentally put just over the call amount into the pot, you would still be allowed to raise to the amount that you'd like. But the 50% rule states:

If a player puts in a raise of 50 percent or more of the previous bet, he will be required to make a full raise. The raise will be exactly the minimum raise allowed.

The rule regarding raise motions states:

In NL or PL, when raising, a player must either put the amount of the raise out in one motion or state the raise amount. By stating the word raise, a player protects his right to raise, but the raise must be made in one additional motion unless he states the amount.

I posted some of this and more at:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...=0#entry1487296