Lottery Players At The Poker Table

What is with the proliferation of lottery players in MTTs. I used to run into them once in a while, but now I see a couple at almost every table of any MTT I've played lately. These are people who use the fact that most people are trying to win against them. They make huge raises pre-flop EVERY hand, and then go all in most hands after that. They know people hardly ever have the nut, and that most people won't risk their tournament on anything less. Once they steal a few hands or get a lucky hit, they know they can't go out in one hand so they just increase their insanity.Is there a new book describing this strategy? I'm assuming these people lose a lot but don't care because they make it to the money a lot, too, but it seems to me they are just turning poker into Powerball.

What is with the proliferation of lottery players in MTTs. I used to run into them once in a while, but now I see a couple at almost every table of any MTT I've played lately. These are people who use the fact that most people are trying to win against them. They make huge raises pre-flop EVERY hand, and then go all in most hands after that. They know people hardly ever have the nut, and that most people won't risk their tournament on anything less. Once they steal a few hands or get a lucky hit, they know they can't go out in one hand so they just increase their insanity.Is there a new book describing this strategy? I'm assuming these people lose a lot but don't care because they make it to the money a lot, too, but it seems to me they are just turning poker into Powerball.
Yea what's up wit dat?

Well I know what you are talking about, but I find that less common than people playing any 2 cards and calling any bet on the flop to hit their draw. That is what makes me most angry. Maybe the 2 are linked. If you bet 5-6 times the BB pre-flop, people will not come in with Q2o and hit a Q on the river when the board comes 35To and you bet the pot. My guess is that that type of play is a defense against people who will give you bad beats :club: I might be wrong. I know I certainly raise a lot more now when I play a hand, it used to be 3X the BB but now I am at 5X. I don't go all-in at the flop but I am tempted to do it if I have a good hand, I am seriously getting tired of people drawing out.

Well I know what you are talking about, but I find that less common than people playing any 2 cards and calling any bet on the flop to hit their draw. That is what makes me most angry. Maybe the 2 are linked. If you bet 5-6 times the BB pre-flop, people will not come in with Q2o and hit a Q on the river when the board comes 35To and you bet the pot. My guess is that that type of play is a defense against people who will give you bad beats :club: I might be wrong. I know I certainly raise a lot more now when I play a hand, it used to be 3X the BB but now I am at 5X. I don't go all-in at the flop but I am tempted to do it if I have a good hand, I am seriously getting tired of people drawing out.
there are definitely times when raising 5-6 times BB is a good strategy, but it should not be a defense against bad beats. you want those Q2s trying to hit their Q on the river even if you've been experiencing alot of bad luck lately. as for lottery players, I've never seen a lottery player that can make money using that strategy consistently. It seems like their all-in moves are either with AK/AQ or mid pocket pairs, and with mid PP they'll eventually end up dominated and not playing much of a lottery.
there are definitely times when raising 5-6 times BB is a good strategy, but it should not be a defense against bad beats. you want those Q2s trying to hit their Q on the river even if you've been experiencing alot of bad luck lately. as for lottery players, I've never seen a lottery player that can make money using that strategy consistently. It seems like their all-in moves are either with AK/AQ or mid pocket pairs, and with mid PP they'll eventually end up dominated and not playing much of a lottery.
I wouldn't think it is a winning strategy, but I've seen a few lately whose stacks only grow. One of the problems: people will play weak hands against them, so it will go: Lottery bets 8X, Player 2 calls, flop comes random junk. Lottery bets the pot, player 2, knowing the bet means nothing, calls Lottery player goes all in, player 2 folds. Repeat with other players at table.Then, by the time I get a hand, Lottery is just pushing. I can try to wait for a monster, but sometimes that doesn't work, and if you're at a table with a couple of them (which I have been ridiculously often lately, along with the weak players feeding them), you may have to win 3 or 4 in a row, and that's a challenge even if you play only premium hands. I know theoretically they should be easy money; in reality, unless everyone at the table knows how to handle them, they will give you a bad beat before you can take them out.
I wouldn't think it is a winning strategy, but I've seen a few lately whose stacks only grow. One of the problems: people will play weak hands against them, so it will go: Lottery bets 8X, Player 2 calls, flop comes random junk. Lottery bets the pot, player 2, knowing the bet means nothing, calls Lottery player goes all in, player 2 folds. Repeat with other players at table.Then, by the time I get a hand, Lottery is just pushing. I can try to wait for a monster, but sometimes that doesn't work, and if you're at a table with a couple of them (which I have been ridiculously often lately, along with the weak players feeding them), you may have to win 3 or 4 in a row, and that's a challenge even if you play only premium hands. I know theoretically they should be easy money; in reality, unless everyone at the table knows how to handle them, they will give you a bad beat before you can take them out.
it seems that what they are doing is working. instead of hating on them you should be thinking about why it is working and what you can do to counter it.this is basically aggrodonk strategy on steroids. (aggrodonk is a trademark of Alf13 enterprises). Yes in theory it stinks but it can be very effective for a time....eventually these guys will have to adjust and switch gears to win anything of note or run hot for 3 days (see: Nguyen, Danny)
I find the lack of sanity in your post disturbing. Poker is never and will never be equivalent to Powerball. In fact, I think we are all dumber for having read the above post. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
it seems that what they are doing is working. instead of hating on them you should be thinking about why it is working and what you can do to counter it.this is basically aggrodonk strategy on steroids. (aggrodonk is a trademark of Alf13 enterprises). Yes in theory it stinks but it can be very effective for a time....eventually these guys will have to adjust and switch gears to win anything of note or run hot for 3 days (see: Nguyen, Danny)
What I can do to counter it is wait for good cards and push. Or I can pick a random hand and challenge them. The latter is the lottery strategy, the former works if the rest of the table is not giving Lottery Guy a huge lead. When the rest of the table is weak, LG has such a huge lead that you have to beat them 3 or 4 times in a row, which is unlikely even with the best hands. I'm sure they are not winning in the long run, but they knock enough people out that they probably make it to the money enough to think it is a viable strategy.
I find the lack of sanity in your post disturbing. Poker is never and will never be equivalent to Powerball. In fact, I think we are all dumber for having read the above post. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
OK, maybe not lottery, but blackjack, anyway, where you just have to win a bunch of coin tosses in a row.