I Know We Already Had A Soccer Is Stupid Thread But...

Obviously posing valid questions is not a part of your definition of common sense, so I won't try bothering to get through your thick headed skull.
Ok, I'll ask a 'Valid' question according to your criteria.Should I ever get on a plane and fly again?There's a 6 million to 1 chance that it will crash.
Ok, I'll ask a 'Valid' question according to your criteria.Should I ever get on a plane and fly again?There's a 6 million to 1 chance that it will crash.
No, you should kill yourself. Thanks for playing. Apparently common sense can't include hypothetical situations either even though this is a FAR more likely event.

The reason I'm bothering to respond, is to try and get something into your thick skull.The answer to your initial question of 'Is this fair', is obviously no. But to ask a question about something that has never happened and is very unlikely to happen is pretty pointless.To say 'I'm sorry but I just lost a ton of respect for this tournament' is just ridiculous.

No, you should kill yourself. Thanks for playing. Apparently common sense can't include hypothetical situations either even though this is a FAR more likely event.
No, you should kill yourself.Your maturity is now really starting to show.Apparently common sense can't include hypothetical situations either even though this is a FAR more likely event.Really, please tell me what the odds are then.
The reason I'm bothering to respond, is to try and get something into your thick skull.The answer to your initial question of 'Is this fair', is obviously no. But to ask a question about something that has never happened and is very unlikely to happen is pretty pointless.To say 'I'm sorry but I just lost a ton of respect for this tournament' is just ridiculous.
Ohhh look at this, he finally gets to the question at hand. Nice work. Agree to disagree then. I don't care if people disagree I just put it out there for discussion as it's the first i've heard of it. But I still can't believe you would say it's pointless to discuss something that is very unlikely to happen. THAT is ridiculous.
Ohhh look at this, he finally gets to the question at hand. Nice work. Agree to disagree then. I don't care if people disagree I just put it out there for discussion as it's the first i've heard of it. But I still can't believe you would say it's pointless to discuss something that is very unlikely to happen. THAT is ridiculous.
You know what, I haven't the strength to continue this any more.There's a saying that sums you up perfectly......'Never argue with idiots. They'll just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience'.
You know what, I haven't the strength to continue this any more.There's a saying that sums you up perfectly......'Never argue with idiots. They'll just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience'.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out :club:

1) Yoda...you're being a bit of an ***.2) When they run out of relevant stats to use to break a tie,and arbitrary decision is as good as any. Yes, it would suck losing by a coin toss, but for 2 teams with identical stats in all categories, do you have a better suggestion?3) MLS uses coin toss as the 7th tier breaker in their championship tournament, so your US has their "head on straight" comment is not only idiotic and inflammatory, but ignorant and incorrect as well.

Oh and by the way, 5 minutes of web-searching reveals that both NFL and MLB have coin tosses written into their tie break rules. Haven't bothered looking into NBA yet. So umm...yeah soccer is stupid? OP, and this thread are beyond stupid IMO.

2) When they run out of relevant stats to use to break a tie,and arbitrary decision is as good as any. Yes, it would suck losing by a coin toss, but for 2 teams with identical stats in all categories, do you have a better suggestion?
Yes actually, I have a way better solution. But first let me say I don't know why soccer fans have to be such assholes when you question their sport lol. Take it easy buddy. Anyway, the solution: have a playoff match OR if that is too much, have a shootout. Quick, little energy expended etc.Second, the coin toss in football is used to determine WHO GETS THE BALL FIRST. Not to decide who advances to the NEXT ROUND. No major US Sports leaves this up to chance even in the event of a tie in all tie breaking scenarios. Baseball doesn't use a coin toss at all I don't know where you got that from. In the event of a tie in Baseball there is a one game playoff to decide who advances. Ignorant and incorrect? Not quite, check your facts. So thanks for the pointless namecalling, but most of what you said is completely wrong, or should I say ignorant and incorrect?
No major US Sports leaves this up to chance even in the event of a tie in all tie breaking scenarios.
im not going to do the research, but you have to be wrong on this.basketball and football do not have play in games for the playoffs. so even if it is extremely unlikely, there will eventually be a coinflip.on second thought , i guess ill agree with you.the tiebreaks are so elaborate i dont think they would ever result in a coin flip.http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7164305http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a...tiebreakers.htm
im not going to do the research, but you have to be wrong on this.basketball and football do not have play in games for the playoffs. so even if it is extremely unlikely, there will eventually be a coinflip.on second thought , i guess ill agree with you.the tiebreaks are so elaborate i dont think they would ever result in a coin flip.http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7164305http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a...tiebreakers.htm
That's what the soccer people are saying about the world cup too.
That's what the soccer people are saying about the world cup too.
Start by eliminating all but the highest ranked club in each division by using the divisional tiebreaker above. After the field has been narrowed to no more than one team from each division, the following tiebreakers are used: 1. Head-to-Head2. Conference Record3. Common Games (minimum of four)4. Strength of Victory5. Strength of Schedule6. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)7. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)8. Net Points (conference games)9. Net Points (all games)10. Net Touchdowns (all games)11. Coin toss Thats good at least..I'd expect the US to have their head on straight :-)
Yea, I'm wrong in the way I worded it, it isn't that the coin flip doesn't exist in some of these rule books. It's that your talking about sports where games reach 60-200+ points and percentages/totals are calculated based upon 16-100 games of data. Plus as you can see it is FAR more extensive then "points, heads up match, yellowcards".If the soccer experts here tell me it has never happened and will never happen (the tie thing), then I concede that it is not a problem. This was just the first I've heard of it and it surprised me. Also, it seems a lot more likely to occur based on only 3 games with such low scoring.
Yea, I'm wrong in the way I worded it, it isn't that the coin flip doesn't exist in some of these rule books. It's that your talking about sports where games reach 60-200+ points and percentages/totals are calculated based upon 16-100 games of data. Plus as you can see it is FAR more extensive then "points, heads up match, yellowcards".If the soccer experts here tell me it has never happened and will never happen (the tie thing), then I concede that it is not a problem. This was just the first I've heard of it and it surprised me. Also, it seems a lot more likely to occur based on only 3 games with such low scoring.
I stated already that it has never happened.
It even goes down to number of yellow cards issued etc. I'm pretty sure it's never gone down to drawing out of a hat.You're making a mountain out of a mole hill without knowing the full facts. You should really learn to get all the information before coming out with comments like 'I'm sorry but I just lost a ton of respect for this tournament'
You said I'm pretty sure, and you were being condescending in response to an honest question. Forgive me for looking for a second opinion.
You said I'm pretty sure, and you were being condescending in response to an honest question. Forgive me for looking for a second opinion.
Yes and you were calling people pricks and saying I hope you kill yourself.You really are a class A jerk.
Yes and you were calling people pricks and saying I hope you kill yourself.You really are a class A jerk.
Yes, I can get pretty pissed off when knowitalls such as yourself start with me. Just remember who started off with the condescending tone. If nothing else your banter entertained me during a long work day. I'm off to watch the hockey game.