The Latest Obsession

From time to time, I read things in Daniel's blog and I think, "Gee. That sounds a lot like me!" In particular, quite some time ago, he posted a long rant about the guy making the "dry side pot bluff" which cost him quite a bit of money. Ok, the bluff wasn't what was funny, but the fact that he felt compelled to tell EVERYONE about what had happened. iirc, something like "because why wouldn't the doorman want to hear what this evil man had done to me?!"Anyway, a very funny piece, because it struck a chord with me in so many ways. I get hooked on things (poker, golf, hunting/fishing, gardening, whatever) and that's all I think, eat, sleep, dream about. When that happens, everyone around me gets to hear all about it, whether they want to or not. But it doesn't matter to me! I have to talk to someone! I realize that I'm doing it, when I'm doing it, but that doesn't stop me. LOLSo reading today's blog, it struck another chord: the golf obsession. For me, the golf obsession lasted about 3 months one summer. Every chance I got, I was on the golf course. All I could think about was golf. I watched the Golf Channel obsessively when not on the course. I talked golf with everyone who showed any interest. Etc. And of course, most recently, poker is my obsession. I play a lot, I read books, I watch it on TV, I read poker blogs. And (lucky for me), I've been steadily winning. This makes me think, however, that if I didn't occasionally obsess on certain things, I would never attain certain goals. For me to succeed, something has to hold my interest A LOT! If I'm not very interested, it's nearly impossible for me to get anything accomplished.My guess is that there are a lot of other people here who have obsessions from time to time. It makes me truly wonder if it's a common trait among poker players in general. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my @$$. :club: I'm sure someone will let me know, if that's the case. :PWell anyway, I'm sure others have had similar thoughts.

good post. i think you are right. the players that post here are clearly obsessed with poker. i believe that is what separates the winners from losers. i dont think you can be a passive poker player and be successful. the winners are the ones who read all the books, watch the tv shows, read poker websites, and most importantly, play the most hands and rethink hand through later. so yeah, i'd guess most poker players are obsessed with the game...IMO