To Call When U Don't Have Good Odds...

6 handed.i'll cut to the chase cause this is my question.on flop (xJQ), shortstack goes all in.i have J8o.the all in is roughly 400, the pot was about 400. i have about 1200 left.now i know it's better to have more info, but is it considered good tournament play to call when u get a chance to eliminate someone?i know not to be results orientated. he won the hand cause i folded. he had 77.the tourney came down to heads up with that guy, and he won.i think i made the correct play, but a friend said the chance to eliminate someone is very important. i always thought the idea of a tourney was to accumulate chips and not lose them, period. eliminating players happens along the way.thoughts?

search on twoplustwo for gigabet's posts or look somewhere on my blog where I posted the links for Gigabet's important articles.What are the blinds? Blinds and Stacksizes are the two most important factors of a tournament. (i'd prolly call him btw - that hand depends on your read on the guy and pf action). Example: 4k chipstack - huge at 20/40 blinds. Small at 400,800 blinds. Get it?I'm really bad at summarizing and explaining but I'll give it a shot:You're always going to lose chips, even when you go in the best of it you're still going to lose once in awhile. So the goal is to amass a big chipstack so you can take these losses. Now, chipstacks are extremely relative to the blinds. if you and another guy have 10k in chips and blinds are 10/20, and you know he has pocket aces and he raises to 100 chips, are you going to call? I def. would. 100 chips isn't going to affect your giant chipstack, and you don't have to worry about the blinds swallowing you up + if you have 2 pair, you're probably going to get an extra 1k in chips from him.Basically, risk vs reward. How big of a portion do you have to risk from your chipstack to knock someone out? If you lose the hand, will you be in danger of blinding out? If I have the chips and I have more than a 30% chance to knock a shortstack out, I'd probably take it. Because even though I may lose chips, I won't be in any extra danger and if I win it, I'll have some more chips to play with - chasing straights, flushes, putting pressure on other chipstacks etc.

Actually, 2:1 is pretty good odds when you're facing a push from a desperate shortstack that could have damn near anything. I'd call with second pair all day there.It's not that calling to eliminate a player is good (it's not, as you make him a lot more dangerous if you double him up, but you really have to take those odds with second pair in that spot. You're probably good about 50% of the time, maybe even higher, and even if you're up against AA, you've still got 5 outs.

Actually, 2:1 is pretty good odds
For the OP, read some Harrington on Hold'em Volume II for stuff about when and when not to call based on the odds (3-1 is automatic, 2 - 1 is also almost automatic if memory serves in this spot).