I Think I Messed This One Up....

Every week I have a home game at my place. Nothing major, just a $5 buy-in, and we get a ton of chips to play with, the point is to have fun. These people are my friends, and so I've played a lot of poker with them. And they finally learned to change their play-styles against me, so it's been tough to regroup and try and pin them down again.Anyway, I'm down to heads up with the Villian, and he's got me outchipped, but not by much. He's got 42k to my 34k, roughly, after calling pre-flop raises, blinds at 1k - 2k, and the pot is around 8k [i think]. I'm sitting with 5c5s. The flop comes out 5h - 8d - 9s. Fantastic. He checks, I check behind him, wanting to slow play. turn is 4d. [board shows 5h - 8d - 9s - 4d]He leads out and bets 4k, and I raised to 16k, to see what he would do. He called pretty quickly. The river is the 7d. [board shows 5h - 8d - 9s - 4d - 7d]He leads out and bets 15k immediately, which surprised the hell out of me. I went into the tank for a couple of minutes, before finally mucking my hand in disgust, knowing that he is very capable of playing hands like Face-6, J-10 the whole way, and of course there was the flush draw out there. In hindsight, I'm pretty convinced that I made the wrong move, but I just couldn't be sure.Any thoughts? Constructive thoughts and comments are most appreciated.*EDIT* Fixed my wording, I did in fact turn the 4 and river the 7.

First off, your hand history is wrong. You say you turn 7d, then you show the board with as 5894. Then you say you turn a 7 which makes the board 58947 (rivered a 7).Assuming you turned the 4 and the river was a 7, here's my comments.First, you should not be slow playing anything heads up. The best HU players are aggressive. You should be betting at any villain seems uninterested in, you should be betting at flops with horrible texture (in position) such as 3 7 K rainbow, and more importantly you should be betting when you have big hands (like a set). Your flop is scary. You are already behind to 67, J10 is going to stay in, 10 7 is going to stay in, JQ might stay in for a gutshot and overs, and if you give free cards away x6 and x7 have a chance at a gutshot straight that leaves you drawing to a 20% board-pairing card on the river.Bet out strong... in this case I'd probably want to go uncalled and take the decent-sized pot as is. I'd be willing to call an all-in here. Realistically you only have to worry about 67. If he's got it, tough luck, if not he's drawing pretty bad (J10 might push here thinking their overs are good).Free cards are so extremely bad in HU play because first off, you cannot put your opponent on any sort of meaningful range in HU play. Some of the best HU players will raise from the button with anything but 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, with the power of position making it profitable to raise just about any other hand.This means you only get information from betting.Anyway, bet strong (overbet or even push).Given that you didn't, I think your laydown is pretty standard.