Nl Vs. Pl., How Do You Play This Hand

just started playing omaha hi/lo, was wondering which was better, PL or NL?also here is a hand i was just in... table is pretty awful. any suggestions?Full Tilt Poker Game #598052302: Table Coleman - $1/$2 - No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 20:35:59 ET - 2006/04/27Seat 1: timesharetom ($376.30)Seat 2: TheStation ($195.50)Seat 3: justice4all ($77)Seat 4: reynaldo ($181)Seat 5: danwilton87 ($44.60)Seat 6: jrcamps ($196.90)Seat 7: Scoop187 ($152.70)Seat 8: peleusson ($238.15)Seat 9: CAHoldem ($77.60)peleusson posts the small blind of $1CAHoldem posts the big blind of $2The button is in seat #7*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to reynaldo [Kh 2s As 4c]timesharetom calls $2TheStation calls $2justice4all foldsreynaldo calls $2danwilton87 foldsjrcamps foldsScoop187 foldspeleusson foldsCAHoldem checks*** FLOP *** [Ah Qs 3d]CAHoldem checkstimesharetom bets $9TheStation calls $9reynaldo calls $9CAHoldem folds*** TURN *** [Ah Qs 3d] [8s]timesharetom bets $6TheStation raises to $35reynaldo...

I've never played nolimit omaha, and it seems like a pretty dumb idea to me. It seems like this game is better suited to pot-limit play, and that's certainly the most popular style.Anyway, on this hand you should raise preflop and raise the bet on the flop. The hand would play out very differently if you did that, and you wouldn't have to do so much guesswork on the turn. Okay, so here it looks like TheStation also has the low (although you most likely have him beat for high since he didn't raise the flop). It's not clear what timesharetom might have. His tiny bet on the turn indicates that he's probably not that interested in the hand after the low hits, so I think a raise is reasonable, hoping that he'll fold a better hi than yours and that you'll then take 3/4 from TheStation.

If the table is as bad as you say, then I'd probably call here. It's dangerous, but TheStation has at best two pair, and very likely the second nut flush draw and/or a gutshot. There is a chance that your hand gets counterfeited or you get quartered, but you have decent implied odds with timesharetom calling. It really depends on your read on the players.The other option of course is to raise, which would lower your chances of getting quartered by timesharetom. It's in a way safer, but of course if your read is off or you get unlucky on the river, you lose that much more. Make sure you let us know what happened.And I much prefer pot limit for all games, but especially Omaha Hi-Lo.EDIT:Actually, TheStation could have a hand like A288, which would be dangerous for you on the high side.

interesting, i think i understated how awful the table was. I mean not too long before this hand, I saw someone go all-in pre-flop for $200 into an un-raised pot with something like 9-10-10-Q, and got CALLED by an A-Q-Q-x(not a 2) hand. So after seeing that I pushed in with my hand. Both players called. I hit the flush on the river. unbelievably, i didnt need it, as I had the high with my pair of aces on the turn. I ended up 3/4-ing station who had the 2-4 with a lower flush draw. (good call dingas) the other guy had something pathetic like a gutshot & terrible flush draw with NO low. so yea at the time i was really happy it was NL, but later on people were terribly overbetting pots and pushing me out.