$200 HUI've been playing this guy for over an hour now. He took $173 off me playing $100 HU. I convinced him to play me $200 HU.He bought in for $100 at the $200 table, and I was like...great....I took that off him though, and got him to rebuy for $200 now. He is steaming a little, but still playing decent.I do have a solid read on the guy. He loves smooth calling raises preflop with hands like JQ QT, Ax and better...even smaller pairs. He hasn't re-raised me once preflop.He also gets tied to Top pair, no kicker. Which is half the reason I lost nearly 2 buy ins at the $100 level (pushing a big draw that blanked and he called with top pair 8 kicker). He has tried bluffing me, only a few times. Once on a semi-bluff in which I had 2nd pair + nut flush draw and he hit a straight on the river, I hit my flush and stacked him. Otherwise he seems pretty straight forward.Hand :: He has about $180 at beginning of hand. I have him covered. lingering in the $470 - $490 rangeI have 10s in the bb and he completes the sb.I bet $5, he calls $5 moreFLOP :: 9s 3d 2d :: POT $15I bet $15, villian calls.TURN :: 3s :: POT $45I bet $35, villian calls.RIVER :: 8c :: POT $115I bet $75, villian says in chat box "show?", I said "no", and he pushes. $52 back to me...I did call...as I don't think I should be folding this river in a huge pot...thoughts from a few HU players?- Jordan

$200 HUI've been playing this guy for over an hour now. He took $173 off me playing $100 HU. I convinced him to play me $200 HU.He bought in for $100 at the $200 table, and I was like...great....I took that off him though, and got him to rebuy for $200 now. He is steaming a little, but still playing decent.I do have a solid read on the guy. He loves smooth calling raises preflop with hands like JQ QT, Ax and better...even smaller pairs. He hasn't re-raised me once preflop.He also gets tied to Top pair, no kicker. Which is half the reason I lost nearly 2 buy ins at the $100 level (pushing a big draw that blanked and he called with top pair 8 kicker). He has tried bluffing me, only a few times. Once on a semi-bluff in which I had 2nd pair + nut flush draw and he hit a straight on the river, I hit my flush and stacked him. Otherwise he seems pretty straight forward.Hand :: He has about $180 at beginning of hand. I have him covered. lingering in the $470 - $490 rangeI have 10s in the bb and he completes the sb.I bet $5, he calls $5 moreFLOP :: 9s 3d 2d :: POT $15I bet $15, villian calls.TURN :: 3s :: POT $45I bet $35, villian calls.RIVER :: 8c :: POT $115I bet $75, villian says in chat box "show?", I said "no", and he pushes. $52 back to me...I did call...as I don't think I should be folding this river in a huge pot...thoughts from a few HU players?- Jordan
Okay I like this, it's all psycological. I read an article by mike caro in bluff and he makes a statement that makes me just think and think and think."The mass of men, live in a quiet desperation." If you really think about this quote people are always doing what the have to not what they want to. You grow up conforming in school, doing chores you don't want to do, and shaking hands as an adult you don't want to shake, pretending to be happy.In poker you must lie about your hand consistenly, if you don't you will get pegged that's why in most hands people do exactly the opposite of what there implying.Example:You're playing heads up and the players says to you, "I've got a big pair under hear."Okay now you're thinking, 'what a liar he doesn't have a big pair why would he tell me that?' He's just trying to give you doubt in your mind. He wants you to call so that he can say, "See I told you SO!"Now that I've layed down my reasoning here's my analysis of his psycological ploy.He says to you in the chat box, "Show?"Now when most people say, "show" they don't have a hand. They are trying to see what you have because what they have isn't good enough to beat your hand. But he's saying it with other intentions. He's saying 'show', you say 'no', and he pushes. To me that screams, "I've had a hand the whole way and you think I have nothing, call me please, please call my set on the turn!"I may be completely off, he may think you have nothing because you wont show and decided to push. Another way to sniff this out is if he's an actor or a truthful player. You said he hasn't bluffed much so he may be a solid player. If he was an actor all the previous information provided is true. If he's a truthful player, he really doesn't have anything and he thinks you don't have a hand and decided to push.Let me know the results as soon as you feel compelled. I hope this was worded correctly.-The Bwaves
Okay I like this, it's all psycological. I read an article by mike caro in bluff and he makes a statement that makes me just think and think and think."The mass of men, live in a quiet desperation." If you really think about this quote people are always doing what the have to not what they want to. You grow up conforming in school, doing chores you don't want to do, and shaking hands as an adult you don't want to shake, pretending to be happy.In poker you must lie about your hand consistenly, if you don't you will get pegged that's why in most hands people do exactly the opposite of what there implying.Example:You're playing heads up and the players says to you, "I've got a big pair under hear."Okay now you're thinking, 'what a liar he doesn't have a big pair why would he tell me that?' He's just trying to give you doubt in your mind. He wants you to call so that he can say, "See I told you SO!"Now that I've layed down my reasoning here's my analysis of his psycological ploy.He says to you in the chat box, "Show?"Now when most people say, "show" they don't have a hand. They are trying to see what you have because what they have isn't good enough to beat your hand. But he's saying it with other intentions. He's saying 'show', you say 'no', and he pushes. To me that screams, "I've had a hand the whole way and you think I have nothing, call me please, please call my set on the turn!"I may be completely off, he may think you have nothing because you wont show and decided to push. Another way to sniff this out is if he's an actor or a truthful player. You said he hasn't bluffed much so he may be a solid player. If he was an actor all the previous information provided is true. If he's a truthful player, he really doesn't have anything and he thinks you don't have a hand and decided to push.Let me know the results as soon as you feel compelled. I hope this was worded correctly.-The Bwaves
Yea. That really confused me, when he said, "show?" then pushed. I was like..wtf.But really, the pot was huge at this point, and I couldn't see myself folding the river.On the flop I put him on two hands:A) a flush drawB) top pair.On the turn I put him on 1 hand:Top pair.--He wouldn't have called that large a bet on just a flush draw. Also, the 3 pairing up made me a lot more confident. If I was right, he only had 2 outs to beat me (the other 9s) and I was sitting pretty.I looked at my bet on the river as a value bet that he wouldn't be able to get off of. Also, at this point, his game had been deteriorating, as his early wins off me were long erased.--He had bluffed on a missed flush draw on a Qxx8K board, and I had 9s and called him.He had also held onto top pair way too eagerly in past pots, so I was sticking to a read that he simply had top pair in this pot as well.-- But, lets pretend he had a lot bigger stack to push at me on the river....well then I'm in a pickle...cause mentally what he said was confusing, but math wise I don't see how I could ever fold there unless he showed me trips 3s, or a boat.--His other bluff was a semi-bluff on the turn. He had c/r me 3x a big bet with just a gutshot. I had mid pair + gutshot straight + flush draw. On the river, the perfect card came. Giving him the nut straight, and me the nut flush. --Lastly, I normally don't respond in chat boxes during hands. But I responded cause I really believed he was weak, and when he said "show?" it really solidified my read that he had some sort of 9 and was uncomfortable. Thus I responded. I was hoping that by saying "no" he'd be too curious and would call. --I'll see if I get a few more responses and I'll post some replies....results- Jordan

There are a lot of possible hands that he could hold here, some like overpairs or a set beat you, but others like top pair you have beat. As you said he gets tied to top pair weak kicker so that is a big possibility. Given that, and that its $52 to call to take down a $317 pot i dont think you can lay it down unless you have some great read. Im calling here, expecting to be behind a fair amount of the time, but taking it down enough to be profitable.

There are a lot of possible hands that he could hold here, some like overpairs or a set beat you, but others like top pair you have beat. As you said he gets tied to top pair weak kicker so that is a big possibility. Given that, and that its $52 to call to take down a $317 pot i dont think you can lay it down unless you have some great read. Im calling here, expecting to be behind a fair amount of the time, but taking it down enough to be profitable.
yea. i really dont think we should fold here.if anything, we could question my river bet...but I did look at it as a value bet...as this hand was happeneing I was speaking with a friend and I was like...dude we are playing a huge pot right now and I'm pretty sure I finally got this guy....i have a few other hands I could post from this session..maybe i shall.- Jordan

you havent said anything here yet to convince me that your read might be off. other than the fact that you posted this hand, which might be a sign that you lost the hand. but i think your analysis is good. he looks like he's desparately tryin to get you to fold, hoping your only bluffing, since he's got T9 and wouldn't win in a show down. call. your still in decent shape if you lose this hand.

I definitly think the pot is way to big to fold the river, bad play on his part pushing for about 7:1 odds for you.Your read is just to great to subside the fact that he could have a hand. Your read alone convinces me that he has top pair.Nice post man