when to protect against the flush draw

I have a general question about protecting against flush draws. If you raised preflop (say, 3 BB) and have a good hand on the flop (say, top pair/good kicker or two pair or set) but the flop is 2-suited, when do you slowplay and when do you not? I often find myself in that situation where I'm pretty sure I have the best hand but I don't really know if my opponent has something like top pair/worse kicker or a possible flush draw. I think partly because I play online, I don't really know how to read the other opponents if it's early on. Often, I'll make a bet of around 3/4 to the whole pot and my opponent folds. What situations should I try to value bet and milk him/her along?

You don't really milk top pair in no limit games. - Jordan
To elaborate, you should probably never give a free card with top pair. It's not your fault they didn't have anything. When trying to milk something like tptk, you'll either win a little bit more money when some sucker calls with second pair or lose alot more money when someone makes a second pair. The only time you should be milking something like top pair would be in the late stages of a NLHE tournament, but that's another story for another day.