flopping nut straight

thsi sort of scenario has happenned a lot to me lately and i'm sure everyone is encountering something similar in their sessions.i'll flop the nut straight with no possible low (obviously high as i'd never play middle cards) and may even have counterfiet protection to give me higher straight.from there i'll pot the flop, get called, pot the turn (if not paired) and get called, and then the river will pair the board.it raises the question: what should my course of action be from first position vs. last position?my thinking is from first position i put out a small bet and fold if potted to. if in last position i check if checked to. but it seems i've been getting killed lately when the guy flopped his trips and stays in to make full house.should i play this hand slower to make sure no one improves? (seems INCREDIBLY weak)by the river the pot is huge and if i want to call a pot bet it's a huge one. but i think if players see you folding an obvious straight whenever the river pairs you'll get slaughtered by anyone paying attention.any thoughts?

The caller with trips has at most 10 outs on the river (assuming has hasn't a flush draw as well). He certainly doesn't have the odds to call a pot bet on the turn, so your betting is correct and +EV.I wouldn't worry as much about folding to a pot bet on the river when the board pairs; unless he has the same straight as you his ony draw was to trips.If the flop has a two flush, I would probably make half-pot bets on the flop and turn in position and check-call out of position, as there are many more draws out there.

If he bets in first position, I usually call out of 1) frustration and 2) he may be an absolute idiot calling with 2 pair and the board pair gave him his third (I am usually not that lucky). If he checks after the board pairs, I always check because the pot is already decent and I don't want to give this moron an opportunity check raise (because that puts me in the same terrible position I mentioned earlier).

My play when flopping a straight is usually to slow down on the flop, either calling a bet or making a smallish (1/2 pot) bet. I usually speed up on the turn, assuming a safe card comes. I think this puts more pressure on the FH and flush draws. This is a spot where position is huge, if you are in position, you can either muck or make a crying call on the river. There's no hard and fast rule as to whether you should be calling the river, it really depends on your reads.

Flopped straights with no redraws suck in Omaha, especially OOP: you either win a small pot or loose a big one.In early position, check flop and maybe call a raise from a player LP. Don't hesitate to fold if there is any significant action, or if you just feel uncomfortable with the action.In LP, you can bet it and see what happens (but I would not if there are 2 to a flush). Nothing wrong with folding to a check-max-raise. When you bet, you need to take stack sizes into account, so that if you are still good on the turn, you can make opponents face a full pot-sized bet.