did i make a bad fold or did he make a good bluff?

I was rescently playing in a ring game with a bunch of kids that i know.we were down to 3-handed and i am first to act.I look down and find A J of diamonds.The other 2 players have been playing aggresively so i limp in and hope for a raise.maybe i shoulda raised but oh wellthe chip leader comes in with a raise 5 times the big blindthe other guys reraises to 15 times the big blindEveryone has been aggressiive lately so i make the call.the original raiser foldsi check in the dark and the other guy does the sameso flop comes J K 3 rainbowsince we both checked in the dark, the turn come and it is a 4 still a rainbow of cards.i check and he bets about 1/3 of the poti make the callriver comes a 5i check and he bets 1/2 the poti deliberate for a very long time because this guys has bluffed me out of a few pots before finally i decide to fold and he flips over A 10 oh man what a bad fold by me...or was it?i wpuld like everyones opinion on this hand and how I should play against this player in the futurthanks and i hope to hear from everyone

He made a good play, I probably would've folded too especially after the reraise, i think the only problem here was checking the turn.
No, another problem was checking the flop. Stop copying what you see on TV, and play the hand right.

i think this is a classic example of why an aggressive play is better then just sitting back and playing tight. Think how passive you played the hand. Limped in with AJ suited in a three handed game. Most players consider that decent enough to be going all in with by the time you hit three handed play. Actually, with the monster raise with the first player, then that tripled by the next player, i might have let it go knowing i misplayed the hand and didnt have control of the pot (how many chips were you playing with?? 15x the big blind sounds like you guys are keeping the blinds too low as the tournament goes on). But you check in the dark on the flop, check/call the turn and then check the river...how can you win pots without having the best hand everytime? You couldn't have played the hand any less aggressively, which i think was begging for a big bet on the turn and river. Yes, sometimes aggressive play can be trapped, but in the long run, smart agressive players take the pots down. He made the right bet, only because you encouraged him to.my train of thought in tournaments is very simple (i usually don't play larger then a two table tourny live): very tight and and passive at the beginning (when the blinds don't really mean much), then much more aggressive and willing to gamble as you near the money. GL

it wasnt a tourney it was a ring gamei was playin w/ a bunch of my friendsyea i definately played that too passivelynormally i think i wouldhave raised in first positionthen raised on the flopthen if he would have called i would have checked the turn and probably folded if he betwould that have been betteralso i think i should have called because i was getting 3-1 on my pot odds and i definately thought that there was like a 40 % chance he was bluffing so my play overall was really badnow i see thatwell i have only been playing seriously for like 6 months ( overall playing for 2 years) so i guess that i still have a lot to learn and i will take this situations and definately learna lot from itthx everyone and anyone alse is welcome to analyze my play also :-)

The only thing I will add (I know you already know you didn't play the hand perfectly) is that you needed to make a decision earlier in the hand. If you thought you had the best hand on the flop, the 4 and 5 on the turn and river shouldn't have changed your mind. Also, he only bet half the pot, which means you were getting 3-1 against a player that had bluffed a lot, and you held a solid, though not spectacular hand.

yeah, you asked him to bluff you and he obliged. AJ is not a hand to play passively preflop in a three handed game. Seriously you should've pushed in preflop since you knew that they were playing over aggressive. Checking blind was real bad too, this is a play that normally works against you

Ur first mistake is not raising when you first saw ur cards. Since you did call and hope for a raise, u should have pushed in when their were 2 raises behind you. A J suited is not a great hand, but 3 handed you mostly have the best hand. The play was to push it all in pre flop. If you did not think that was the best play, you should not have checked it in the dark. Never is this a good play unless you have low pocket pairs. By checking both the flop and the turn, you gave him a chance to put a bet in. By bettin 1/3 of the pot, was somewhat of a tester bet. Depending on previously play you should have picked up on is this was a bluff or he was sucking you in. You definitley should have called on the end tho, but your whole play of the hand was wrong begininning with limping with A J.

The other 2 players have been playing aggresively so i limp in and hope for a raise.
The one thing that bothers me about the way you played was the hand was that you were hoping for a raise.....and you got your wishUsually when I want someone to raise you want to re raise and I think that most players here would hope for that that for the same reason (please correct me if Im wrong)Instead of calling you should have moved in right there.....your prob do have the best hand and with his agressive style he would have called with an A 10 and taken him down. Your biggest mistake was not re raising when you were raised. Also checking/betting the dark is never a good idea Good Luck....You have only been playing for 6 months....youll get better