anyone know the exact rules? even wikipedia has it wrong. how do you guys play?my understanding of how to play is this:i look only at my #'s on a dollar bill, i either tell the truth or lie about my best 5 card poker hand.the players in turn either fold (forfeit 1 dollar) call, for two, or raise to 3 by stating a new hand. i can then reraise if i slowplayed and state a new hand for 4, etc.. until someone calls. actual best hand wins.now here are the discrepencies i'm finding...do you play with everyone's # are communal or just your bills #? i like each man to his own bill esp heads up.what about heads up? do you alternate position like a button every hand or go by lowest letter on the serial?do straights count? is 0, 10 or zero, or the wheel for straights? do full houses count? how bout five, six of a kind?i play limit but can you play nl? can you slow play (eg saying "i have two pair" when you really have four 9's?i think its time we formalize this game.

Ahhh...Liars Poker. I used to Bartend at a Steak House during the Lunch shift where we held the Lion's Club Charter. I used to make about $75 bucks a shift in tips...and about $150 a day playing Liar's Poker with the old drunks. :wink: First...it is a bidding game based on the number of any one number appearing on all bills in the game...it has nothing to do with a 5 card hand.First let me say these are New York rules and play may vary from local to local. :wink: From the beginning....Each player is "dealt" a dollar bill from a mixed pile. The deal moves around the table in standered fashion and the player UTG is the player to the dealers left. That player must make an opening bid. The minimum opening bid being half the number of players in 2's. So, with 6 players ...the min bid is 3 twos.Play then proceeds around the table and each player, in turn, must bid higher either in number or in amount. So, if the bid is say 4 fives, the next player must say either 4 sixes , or must bid 5 fives. If he wants to bid a number lower than fives, say twos, he must then also bid at least 5. Or he can "pass" which is to fold. Ones play as aces and play high...zeros are tens.Eventually the bid will be high enough that all will pass. In our 6 handed game, lets say it is 8 eights. At that point, the bidder has the option to count up the eights...or go "on the double". If he decides to count the eights, then everyone in the game tells how many eights are on his bill ( no cheating allowed here). If the bidder has enough total, then everyone gives him $2. If he is short, he gives everyone in the game $1.If he instead decides to go "on the double", he must bid higher in both number and amount. So, with our 8 eights example, his min bid would be 9 nines or higher. All players are back in the bidding again, and each has a chance to make a standered bid. Play continues until all pass again. At that point, all players declare how many of the bid number they have on their bill. If the bidder, whoever that now is, makes his bid each player must give him $4. If he misses the bid, he must give each player $2.So where is the lying part you ask. Well, some people always play for the double, so their bids in the first round are BS. Say I have 4 aces on my bill. I may bid the 8 eights intending to go on the double and bid 9 aces. Or I may be bidding aces the whole time and just ask for a count. Or I may go on the double and bid 9 tens without a single ten in my hand to induce the overagressive dude with 4 tens on his bill to bid 10 tens. You get the idea.But you must give an honest count of your bill at showdown and show it if asked.Did I really just type all that ? Hope someone even reads it. :shock: :club:

my family and i play a different way. one person is dealt a five card hand. that person has to say a poker hand, i.e. pair of sixes, ace high. the next person can draw anywhere from 1-5 cards, and must say a hand higher than the previous hand. at any time the next person can call a bluff, and if the hand doesn't match or beat the said said they lose a dollar (1 out of 3),this continues until there is only one person remaining.a cheaper, more time consuming way to play i admit.

PotDragon- Thanks for the explanation.  I've always wondered how this was played.  Now I'm tempted to play it with some friends.
We used to play it in rounds where each player put 5 singles into the pile to be dealt from...then you just kept your "card" after each hand. Avoids hit and runners in a public bar.It is a great game to pick up tells in. Especially if you are the only one in the game not drinking scotch /rocks at noon. :club: Glad somebody read it!!! :D