Hey guys,I played in a tournament last night, with a very weird structure. Personally I didn't like it, but there was an interesting hand that came up that I figured I'd ask for help on.There are 2 rounds in this tournament. In each round there are only 2 blind levels 25/50 and 50/100, the chipstacks start at 3000 each round and a round lasts an hour. Regardless of what happened to you the previous round, you still get to play in round two. Both of your scores are added together and the top six move to the final table along with two "wildcards" who are drawn randomly from the losers (I hated this idea).There are 74 people in the tournament, and after round 1 I'm sitting in first place with 13795 chips, second place sits at 12 000 on the nose, with about 2 others above 10 000. Now, being chipleader has no bearing on round two, we still all start with 3000 chips and play begins same as round one. Obviously, my plan here is to play tight and just coast through with about 5k or so. After about 25 hands on my table, I've got a good feeling for how most of the players at my table are playing. So far, I've been very conservative, and only played about 3 hands (Did I mention that ALL tables had 6-7 players?) not because I was scared to play, but the deck was just cold. That's when this hand comes up:We're 5 handed since one player has already busted. I'm sitting at about 4000, with the BB sitting around 7000 and the SB sitting around 2000 or so, other two players have around 2500 each. Loose-passive man to my left folds UTG, Loose-Stupid-FirstTimePlayer to his left folds, to me on the button and I look down to see K:spade: T:spade: . We have two players to act behind me, the SB who likes to play a lot of hands, and is very passive postflop. The BB likes to play pretty much every single hand, he has gone to showdown with you twice, and both times you've flipped up winners that you've played very straightforward and ABC. He's aggressive when he hits, and a calling-station when he misses. He is known to overplay marginal hands tremendously, losing about 2k early on with K4o, with a king on the board, which he played very aggressively. The blinds are 25/50 still, I raise to 150, think this raise may be too small? SB realized it's his turn to act after about 30 seconds and says "HURR fold". BB calls with little expression on his face. Flop comes: K:heart: 6:diamond: 7:spade:BB is first to act and checks, staring at you. Staring back you bet 250. Barely before you're done saying "Bet 250", getting all excited he instaraises another 500, . You're smiling on the inside, you've seen him get excited like this before and show down trash, but he has also done it with AK, with an ace and king on the flop. Sorry to be longwinded, but what's the play here? Keep in mind the fact that you want to keep some chips by the end of round two, so you can make the final table. You know there is a chance you may make the final table even with your round one score alone, but it's not guaranteed. Do you wait for a better spot to get your money in?

You say there are 74 people with a total of 6000 chips between the two rounds. Only the top 6 get auto-bids to the final table, and the end of round two is going to be a frenzy of all-ins. With 222,000 chips in play in round 2 it would seem to me that the top 6 chip leaders from round two have got to come out with at least 20,000 each. Anyone outside the top 10 who has any chips left other than the winning the last pot they play doesnt understand the format. (I say top 10 because there might be some bubble players into the final table who got there mostly from round1).So, I think you are in jeopardy of not making the final table with less than 7000 chips in round 2, and you probably should have been playing more normally. I cant see being able to coast in with your total and your current stack. This hand is a problem though. He could very well have woken up with a premium hand and your KT may or may not be good.On a short table KT suited folded around to you is fairly hard to get away from, but given his actions I think you need to be cautious and retain some chips. If you commit another 500 on this round what are your chances of getting a free card on the turn? You really dont want to pay even a continuation bet on the turn unless your hand hits, and given BBs enthusiasm over his hand I doubt youre going to get a free ride. I think you have to fold here.

Good analysis copernicus. I think you're right with the fold, there are better times to get my money in. Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in this hand, I'll go ahead and post up some results.I bet 250 on the flop, he raised to 500. I thought I was good here, and I was kind of tilting because he had already kicked my buddy out playing a trash hand. After his raise I pretty much insta-pushed. I threw my whole tournament-life on the line here, because I thought I had the best hand, and I'd seen him call with junk before. I never really put him on a range of hands, or thought through my "plan" , I just pushed. His voice cracks as he says "I call" and my heart sinks because I then know I'm beat. I remain seated, he stands up, I flip up my kings, ten kicker, he slams down his cards "twooo pair" showing me his K6o. I give him a quick "I'm better than you" look (yeah I'm a cocky/dumb guy, who probably, after all, isn't better than him). He says "man you overplayed that ****ing hand pretty bad" and I just give him a quick stare. The turn and river are blanks and I'm kicked out of round two. I extend my hand out of courtesy as he stacks his chips, and he glances at me, then back at his chips and decides to ignore me. Being a nice guy that I am I slide my piles towards him, toppling everywhere, half on his lap, half on the floor, damn I was pissed, and I felt bad about this part afterward, those chips aren't his or my property, but oh well.I've never been so mad about a hand of poker, moreso his attitude, slowrolling me somewhat. I stick around to see how I will do overall, and on the offchance that I make it on a "wildcard". I end up finish 7th place, by 300 chips, which further added to my frustration. The wildcard was one of my buddies who amounted a whopping 0 chips over both rounds. Well, I know most people won't read this; but I hope most people have more restraint than me in a situation like this.