to the tournament pro's

opinions on how experienced tourney players would play this would be appreciated -so i was bored last night and decided to play in this $11 buy in PStars tournament with about 1350+ people. down to 35-40 players after 4 hours when everyone got tight as they approach the final table (top 135+ pays cash). i had about 75k in chips - probably around 17th out of 40..chip lead was around 150k + i think. blinds were 1500/3000. i was down to 35k ish 3 hands ago on a bad beat (KJ vs K3 all in where 3 hit on river), and folded pocket 4's and doubled up on Q's. right after Q's, i saw pocket 9's (3 PP's in a row). i almost mucked it (given i had that weird bad feeling), but decided to raise 40k (similar % of stack raise with my Q's so i thought it creates an impression of a strong hand - signalling call me or raise me), and got a reraise from button for all my stack - he had about 80-90k. now i am mostly a cash mid to mid/high NL player and dont know that well about stack mgmt in tournies. i could have easily folded (as i did with 4's) but pockt 9's a little harder. anyways i ended up calling and lost to 10's. (cash game is much easier to play for mid PPs).a few options here - 1. just call the 3k blinds and if raised, can decide to call if not too much, and then i can outplay many on flop (i am a much better post flop player so putting all in takes the fun out)1 (a) just call, and then play no set no bet rule (not my style). usually if i have 9's with position, and flop was Axx and 10's check, i can usually get that pot, problem is, i didn't have position here - and i cant see his face (i am a live player)2. fold 10's and lower PP's from early position in this situation??? (man, that IS tight). i am already at 17th and short stacks were pushing all in and busting out - i could pick a better spot. calling an all in with 9's is not all great .. i'd rather hold AK than pocket J's frankly to an all in- and you know why.3. raised 2 or 3 x blinds (10k in this case) and if reraised big, i can think about folding 9's.i have busted out twice this way in these big tournies. busted out at 39th this one and 17th in the other one last week (that time on pocket 7's). i am thinking i dont know how to play those mid PP's when there are only a few left standing. it does not seem that hard to be consistently in last 20-50 from 1400 people (or may be i am too lucky) but i feel there is something missing in my tourney play - granted its only 4 trials so far (17th, 35th, 39th and 67th are my finishes).any thoughts from people who know what they are doing? thanks.

I am not a pro. I am not claiming to be a pro. Just putting my answer down so that when a pro comes in and gives their answer I can either look like a dumbass or say "Told ya!" :-) Anything lower that JJ I call. Why? If I can hit my set with 4 or 5 people in the pot, then I might be able to grab a decent pot (especially if some of them are loose). If I don't hit my set and there are overcards, I can get out of the hand cheaply and wait for another opportunity. That's how I play it. Take it for what it is.

so i just call with 9's and if raised big by button, fold? pocket 10's likely to raise a decent amount - you call and hope u hit the set? (that is going to leave me somewhat shortstacked afterwards). thats why i was struggling to see if a 'fold' is better in this particular instance. i am in good shape to go to final table if i pick my spot properly and i had a decent control over the table post flop.

What position were you in?I would fold if I limped and he still raised it large, for the reason of waiting for a better chance and trying to keep my sights on the final table. Being on the button though you might think he is making a positional play and would then be faced with a tough decision. But even if you put him on a good hand he could easily have a bigger pp (which he did) or two overcards.So for me personally, if he put in a substantial raise, yeah, I would fold.I am really interested in seeing what some advanced players would do. It's a good topic.

sorry. seat 5 i think. yes i am curious to find out how advanced 'tourney' players would play. not all advanced cash players are good tourney players. you dont really see people getting loose or tight near 'final' table - there is no final table. and you dont 'bust out' so to speak.

I have won several multi-table tourneys.Mid position? I would limp or double the BB to possibly eliminate the blinds. If you get raised a significant amount then dump it.Post flop with the other player. You can bet into him if you are heads up with a flop that has an ace. He puts you on an ace and it is yours.This all depends on your chip count and the size of the blinds.99 is okay. But, this late in a tourney, it is important to take pots when you know you can. I strongly encourage playing loose and aggressive at this stage so that you can arrive at the final table with a decent stack.This strategy works well because most people tighten up and fold alot of hands trying to sqeak into the final table.I play to win not to place 9th.This all of course depends on the style of play that your opponent is excercising at the time.

i am already a pretty aggressive player to start with :D so i gotta think about how to proceed. i am the type that would call someone on flop with nothing if i think they are betting their mid pair and raise on turn to take down the pot - again with nothing.i hear you on pocket 9 play. i think i will try that one. what you said makes sense.