album of the year

I am saying that if an album is truly great, it will outsell those Agueilera (sp?) albums IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, those pop albums will sell big for a short period of time, but good music has more longevity and will continue to sell for a long time. So in this way, all-time album sales do mean something... man, i wish people would start reading my threads in their entirety and actually considering them before irrationally responding, seriously...i know these pop albums that sell a high number real quickly are not as good as the Clapton album, but eventually, the clapton album, if it is really that good, will outsell it

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am saying that if an album is truly great, it will outsell those Agueilera (sp?) albums IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, those pop albums will sell big for a short period of time, but good music has more longevity and will continue to sell for a long time. So in this way, all-time album sales do mean something... man, i wish people would start reading my threads in their entirety and actually considering them before irrationally responding, seriously...i know these pop albums that sell a high number real quickly are not as good as the Clapton album, but eventually, the clapton album, if it is really that good, will outsell it
What's your excuse for The Eagles being the best selling...probably the most over-rated band of all time
What's your excuse for The Eagles being the best selling...probably the most over-rated band of all time
The Eagles excuse is they are Fu*k'in talented. Yep, talent that is there excuse. You don't got to like them but not realizing just how skilled the Eagles are is just sad. :cry:

no, i don't think the Eagles are overrated, did I ever say that AC DC had THE highest selling album of all time, no, i said it was higher than the beatles and a ton of other groups, so it must mean that AC DC has got something going for them. They are my personal favorite, and this is just proof that they don't suck, like a lot of others on here say they do....I like the AC DC better than the Eagles, but I like the Eagles too....also, I never said that these album sales were the ONLY indicator of how good a band is, I just said that it does mean something...man, it appears like most of you guys just can't handle my posts, you are taking them completely the wrong way for some reason...

That might not be the case at all. The Velvet Underground are considered one of the most influential bands of the `60s, and only one album I believe has reached platinum status over 30+ years. Sales are dictated by the times. More people are buying albums now than 20 years ago, so new albums sell at a much higher rate at this point in time. I don't really see much of a link between how good an album it is and its sales. Some historically great albums still manage to sell well, but no one in a million years could ever tell me that the Eagles Greatest Hits and Thriller are the two greatest albums of all-time, because they sold the most.
That might not be the case at all. The Velvet Underground are considered one of the most influential bands of the `60s, and only one album I believe has reached platinum status over 30+ years. Sales are dictated by the times. More people are buying albums now than 20 years ago, so new albums sell at a much higher rate at this point in time. I don't really see much of a link between how good an album it is and its sales. Some historically great albums still manage to sell well, but no one in a million years could ever tell me that the Eagles Greatest Hits and Thriller are the two greatest albums of all-time, because they sold the most.
dont hate on thriller though
Correct but they are way up there on that greatest list.

I don't hate on Thriller, i love that album. Still have it........and no greatest hits record can ever be considered the greatest album of all time. Regular albums are the only ones that matter.

I don't hate on Thriller, i love that album. Still have it........and no greatest hits record can ever be considered the greatest album of all time. Regular albums are the only ones that matter.
You may have a very good point there but I'ts damn good. Definitly not your average greatest hits albumn.

Greatest hits albums are complied for marketability.....or else half of my favorite albums might be greatest hits albums. Yes I have owned the Eagles greatest hits for a long time , but I would consider Hotel California to be their greatest recording achievement. Granted I am impressed that it has sold so many copies. I think in due time The Wall is capable of catching it in sales, who knows for sure though.

Greatest hits albums are complied for marketability.....or else half of my favorite albums might be greatest hits albums. Yes I have owned the Eagles greatest hits for a long time , but I would consider Hotel California to be their greatest recording achievement. Granted I am impressed that it has sold so many copies. I think in due time The Wall is capable of catching it in sales, who knows for sure though.
mbreon, my friend, i was impressed with the love you show for the fantastic Velvet Underground, but am disappointed to hear you are an Eagles fan...where am I going wrong on my view of the Eagles...very mediocre lyrics, little creativity/originality, overrated ability (any band could create that sound with that number of guitarists...see Lynyrd Skynyrd)...also, greatest hits cannot count as greatest album...if it could Shaq would the greatest album of all time
mbreon, my friend, i was impressed with the love you show for the fantastic Velvet Underground, but am disappointed to hear you are an Eagles fan...where am I going wrong on my view of the Eagles...very mediocre lyrics, little creativity/originality, overrated ability (any band could create that sound with that number of guitarists...see Lynyrd Skynyrd)...also, greatest hits cannot count as greatest album...if it could Shaq would the greatest album of all time
Where did I ever say that I was an Eagles fan? Just because I own a copy of Hotel California doesn't make me a fan. I've got some 2500 CDs lying around, there was bound to be an Eagles CD in there somewhere. I am not an Eagles fan really, I just like Joe Walsh. There are about 4 or 5 Eagles songs I can tolerate. Give them credit - they knew which songs were good and always released the right ones as singles - they don't have ONE single good b-side. They knew how to market themselves. But I digress....Velvet Underground & Nico is in my top 5 favorite albums of all-time.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. "

i understand having a lot of cds, I like music too and have quite a few, but do you literally have 2500 cds...that is a bit unreal to me....i mean, seriously...2500!!!Oh, and burned CDs or whatever don't count, only ones you buy at a store