survivor pool head start week #1

Hey guys, I'm not sure if Daniel is going to give us the option of choosing a Friday game, but I thought I'd post the first Friday, saturday and Sunday games of the season to generate some discussion and excitement. I think the Flames, Lightning and Bruins look good on Friday. I also have an opinion on the Friday Penguins/Hurricanes game that says don't touch it with a ten foot hockey stick.BTW, it is weird looking at these games and realizing there will be NO TIES!Oct 7, 2005 Flyers @ Devils Capitals @ Thrashers Hurricanes @ Penguins Blue Jackets @ Flames Panthers @ Lightning Sabres @ Bruins Blackhawks @ Sharks Oct 8, 2005 Maple Leafs @ Canadiens Senators @ Sabres Islanders @ Hurricanes Thrashers @ Capitals Devils @ Rangers Penguins @ Bruins Lightning @ Panthers Blues @ Sharks Predators @ Mighty Ducks Stars @ Avalanche Oilers @ Canucks Coyotes @ Wild Oct 9, 2005 Red Wings @ Flames Blackhawks @ Blue Jackets Kings @ Wild

Hey guys, I'm not sure if Daniel is going to give us the option of choosing a Friday game, but I thought I'd post the first Friday, saturday and Sunday games of the season to generate some discussion and excitement.  I think the Flames, Lightning and Bruins look good on Friday.  I also have an opinion on the Friday Penguins/Hurricanes game that says don't touch it with a ten foot hockey stick.BTW, it is weird looking at these games and realizing there will be  NO TIES!Oct 7, 2005 Flyers @ Devils    Capitals @ Thrashers        Hurricanes @ Penguins      Blue Jackets @ Flames        Panthers @ Lightning      Sabres @ Bruins        Blackhawks @ Sharks      Oct 8, 2005 Maple Leafs @ Canadiens      Senators @ Sabres        Islanders @ Hurricanes        Thrashers @ Capitals        Devils @ Rangers        Penguins @ Bruins    Lightning @ Panthers        Blues @ Sharks          Predators @ Mighty Ducks      Stars @ Avalanche            Oilers @ Canucks        Coyotes @ Wild        Oct 9, 2005 Red Wings @ Flames    Blackhawks @ Blue Jackets    Kings @ Wild
I would have to concur with my irritable partner here, the Lightning and Flames should be a good bet. Not going to comment on the Sabres/Bruins game...Saturday the Devils should whip the Rangers, Sharks should beat the Blues, Coyotes should beat the Wild. Sunday's games are too close to call.

What about Satruday's Ottawa/Buffalo game? Will the Sabres be tired from early back2back games or will they have rid themselves of any cobwebs?Why does September have to hath 30 days? Come on October 5!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if Daniel is going to give us the option of choosing a Friday game, but I thought I'd post the first Friday, saturday and Sunday games of the season to generate some discussion and excitement.  I think the Flames, Lightning and Bruins look good on Friday.  I also have an opinion on the Friday Penguins/Hurricanes game that says don't touch it with a ten foot hockey stick.BTW, it is weird looking at these games and realizing there will be  NO TIES!Oct 7, 2005 Flyers @ Devils    Capitals @ Thrashers        Hurricanes @ Penguins      Blue Jackets @ Flames        Panthers @ Lightning      Sabres @ Bruins        Blackhawks @ Sharks      Oct 8, 2005 Maple Leafs @ Canadiens      Senators @ Sabres        Islanders @ Hurricanes        Thrashers @ Capitals        Devils @ Rangers        Penguins @ Bruins    Lightning @ Panthers        Blues @ Sharks          Predators @ Mighty Ducks      Stars @ Avalanche            Oilers @ Canucks        Coyotes @ Wild        Oct 9, 2005 Red Wings @ Flames    Blackhawks @ Blue Jackets    Kings @ Wild
wadda ya mean no ties ???
What about Satruday's Ottawa/Buffalo game?  Will the Sabres be tired from early back2back games or will they have rid themselves of any cobwebs?Why does September have to hath 30 days?  Come on October 5!
I dunno, that's two *tough* division battles in two days. We're going to find out in the first weekend how the Northeast division will play itself out. Kenny, the shootout is back this year, so no ties means just that. NO TIES.
wadda ya mean no ties ???
In case you're not joking....There will be no ties in the NHL! If the game is tied at the end of regulation, they will go to a 5 minute 4 on 4 (not counting goalies of course) overtime. If the game is still tied after 5 minutes there will be a shootout with each team selecting 3 players. A win in regulation = 2 pointsA win in overtime = 2 pointsA win in a shootout = 2 pointsA loss in regulation = 0 points of courseA loss in overtime = 1 pointA loss in a shootout = 1 pointA game won in a shootout will be considered a one goal win. For instance if Toronto and Montreal go to a shootout tied 3 - 3, and Montreal wins the shootout, the final score of the game will be:Montreal 4Toronto 3Also,No individual statistics will be awarded from performance in a shootout (e.g. no goals -- or game-winning goals -- credited to scorer; no saves or goals against charged to a goaltender). Also, a goalie will not be charged with a loss to his record should he lose in overtime (this is a change from current practice) or in a shootout. Instead, such a decision would be added to the goalie's OT column (e.g. same as team standings -- GP W L OT).

That's crap, but good information going into the draft. A lot of players would have made my team based on how I perceive they would perform in shootouts. A goal should be a goal, OT stats should count.

That's crap, but good information going into the draft. A lot of players would have made my team based on how I perceive they would perform in shootouts. A goal should be a goal, OT stats should count.
OT goals and assists will count, but....If they counted shootout goals, it would throw things out of whack. "So and so shouldn't be awarded the Maurice Richard Trophy because half his goals came in a shootout." Also (and an even bigger point) is that it will throw contract negotiations based on comparisons between players out of whack. Would it be fair to compare a player that scored 50% of his 60 goals in a shootout to a player that scored 85% of his 60 goals in regulation or OT?Player A30 goals regulation/OT30 goals shootoutPlayer B51 goals regulation/OT9 goals shootoutIt wouldn't necessarily be a good judge of ability/worth if Player A's team went to a shootout 25 times while Player B's team only made it to a shootout 7 times.
OT goals and assists will count, but....If they counted shootout goals, it would throw things out of whack. "So and so shouldn't be awarded the Maurice Richard Trophy because half his goals came in a shootout." Also (and an even bigger point) is that it will throw contract negotiations based on comparisons between players out of whack. Would it be fair to compare a player that scored 50% of his 60 goals in a shootout to a player that scored 85% of his 60 goals in regulation or OT?Player A30 goals regulation/OT30 goals shootoutPlayer B51 goals regulation/OT9 goals shootoutIt wouldn't necessarily be a good judge of ability/worth if Player A's team went to a shootout 25 times while Player B's team only made it to a shootout 7 times.
Good points, I misunderstood and thought all overtime stats would not count. It would be funny if Thomas Vanek won the Richard trophy based on his 30+ shootout goals this season though (kid is unbelieveable on the breakaway).
I concur
What about Satruday's Ottawa/Buffalo game?  Will the Sabres be tired from early back2back games or will they have rid themselves of any cobwebs?Why does September have to hath 30 days?  Come on October 5!
I dunno, that's two *tough* division battles in two days. We're going to find out in the first weekend how the Northeast division will play itself out. Kenny, the shootout is back this year, so no ties means just that. NO TIES.
two things... 1) one weekend of games will decide how the division is going to play itself out over 82 games? Huh?2) The shootout is "back"? That would insinuate that it had ever been here in the first place.