new orleans is sinking man and i don't want to swim!

I agree whole heartedly with Kantian.Bottom line is, no matter what the media says or does, the biggest hurricane in 40+ years is about to devastate a major city.Pray if you pray, think about them if you don't pray, but realize that there are a lot of people whose lives are in danger and everything they've worked for is about to be destroyed. Please remember that as you enjoy a sunny day tomomorow wherever you are.
this storm is even bigger then camille, it is almost as big as the laborr day hurricane of 32. I visited NO for mardi gras a few years back, and the city kicks ass, I just hope that that everyone in teh end will be okay. THis storm is no joke, It strecthes almost all the way from the gulf coast to the yucatan, I also hope that in some way that this storm isn't somewhat related to global warming. THe same situation would happen to charleston if this category hit it as charleston is approx. the same level as NO. Any FCPers that are in NO or the Gulf Coast, my heart goes out to you as much as your hearts went out to me when the twin towers went down. I just hope that the loss of life is 0 or minimal

The scariest thing is hearing the officials comment on this, the director of the National Hurricane Center said N.O. will "never be the same" and a gent from LSU's center said that it's "pretty much a worst case scenario" They also say the city could be under as much as 30 ft of water, which will include "human waste, toxic chemicals, and coffins" I'm amazed by the seeming number of people around who haven't been paying attention at all to the coverage, seemingly unaware that a whole notable US city could be wiped out. It's sad. (quotes from New York Times Online article)

I've been really emotional the past 12 hours or so because of the gravity of this soon-to-be tragedy.  It bothers me that most of the nation just thinks its another hurricane.. because this is truly something awful.There are over 20,000 people trapped in new orleans as of now, and an estimated 40% are children.  The flooded city will be flooded with toxic water most probably, after taking down the chemical plants and sewage lines.  The water will be poison to anyone who may have survived.The superdome is only rated at around 130mph winds to be safe.  The average sustained wind speed is up to 175 now, with gusts over 200.  And on top of this, the superdome rating was made before we had the taller surrounding buildings in N.O. which can speed up wind as it whips around these structures.If you've never been to New Orleans... we joke and call it the ass hole of the world, because it can be a dirty trashy place.. but it is RICH with beauty.  Great landmarks, authentic southern history which will be irreplaceable.  For all we know, this storm may tear down landmarks like Tulane and Loyola colleges, along with so many great homes.This is truly a horrible ordeal.. and im genuinely at a loss for words to describe how scared i am for these people stranded in N.O.I just hope if you guys pray, that you will pray for these people. ANd if you don't pray, maybe your thoughts will be with them.Sorry to get emotional guys.. this stuff has me freaked out.  I live 2 hours from N.O. and seeing all my friends fleeing and packing up their pictures because its the only thing they are sure they can't replace.. it just tears me up inside.-jeremy
It's going to be like that tsunami that hit Thailand at Christmas. This is going to completely devastate New Orleans, Houma, and everything else in it's way. I'm definitely keeping New Orleans in my thoughts tonight. No matter how bad it gets here, it'll be a picnic compared to everyone in NO.
Guest Zach6668

In what could be considered as slightly good news, according to MSN Sympatico news, the hurricane has been downgraded to a "strong category 4"...Nonetheless, my thoughts are in NO.Zach