This hand took place online against very familiar opposition . It's a NL $25 max full ring game .$1 s/bb's . I'm in the bb having just joined the table . They are all regulars . Most LAG, a few rocks . Here it is :Her0 in BB (99) Four players limp in and SB checks to me . These guys play any thing I'm thinking , let's thin the field right ...I know pp's need 3 or 4 callers for +EV, but I'm trying to win that pot right there . Is this the wrong mind set ? Should I check and fit or fold if I don't flop trips ? any way...I raise Pot $6 on caller , LAG player calls .FLOP : 5 8 4 rainbow Hero : bets pot $6Enemy moves ALL IN I've invested 1/2 my buy in is this hand worth the rest , am I commited ?He could have AK I'm thinking ...AQ... not the 67 he showed after I called. Was this the dumbest call around ... I sure feel like it was know .

There are a couple of things you can do with the pocket pair in that situation. One check it and hope to hit something big and trap your opponents. This is risky, but no less risky than raising pre-flop trying to win it right there. Let's be honest, you are going to have to raise it to 5-10x BB before anyone even thinks about folding in most cases at that limit. So is that worth it potential overcards coming on the flop? Probably not. I would check from the BB here. If I was not in the BB I would raise 2-3x BB to try and steal the blinds or get a caller with A-x and try to bet him off the pot on the flop.As for the large bet on the flop, anytime there are three cards to a straight or flush on the flop, or board in general, I like to check just to see what kind of action there is. If a player is smart they would check their straight too and try to trap me on the next card. Be cautious with flops like that.I do think that you shouldn't have expected a 67 to be turned over, but the willingness to go all-in by your opponent AND the fact that they called a raise would indicate to me a strong hand, potentially a higher pocket pair but more likley trips on the flop. So I wouldn't have called the all-in. There will be other hands to play.

Tek , you said you'd raise 2-3xbb w/ 99 in the BB correct ?In your opinion I should be varying the size of my preflop raises ? I have been raising a consistant 4xbb , hoping to conceal the strenght of my hand . Is this something I may want to change ? Thanks for time and effort .

I've invested 1/2 my buy in is this hand worth the rest , am I commited ? Yes and no.The buy in to BB ratio is so asonishingly small that you're almost committed with any hand if you're thinking in those terms.In terms of odds, you're behind looking at a 2 outer most of the time here, so calling getting 3 to 1 on an 11 to 1 shot's probably not a great idea.