new to stud...what a great game...please read

Hey all. I started dabbling in stud awhile ago out of boredom for hold 'em, and started playing more and more recently. Wow, what a great game 7 card stud is. Minus the fact that it seems everyone online is a calling station, this game is so much fun. It feels like so much more of a thinking game than hold 'em. Having never read a stud section of a book, I just wanted to see if my game approach was correct.** I generally play the high split pairs, and middle wired pairs, and any 3 to the flush or straight. However, I find myself looking more and more for dead cards on the board as to how I'm going to approach my hand. Even if I have two pair or trips, I'll check opponents boards for straight and flush possibilities to see if I'm gonna continue with the hand.Is anyone else with me that hold 'em has become a little boring? It's still a great game, don't get me wrong, but that's all my friends play around here. Half of them don't even know how to play stud or omaha and its variations.P.S. Doyle was right, the main event should be a H.O.R.S.E. tourney. I wonder how many no names would win then?

I've started to play 7 Stud a lot more than Holdem Lately. People are absolutely terrible at the game. Some people can not fold until they see at least 4th st. I just wait for good hands and bet/raise. My win rate per hour is a lot higher in 7 stud than anything else. Unless I have a day like today where people are calling me down to 7th st and hitting a full house for a 4 outer I usually have a very good day.EDIT: be careful of straights and flushes, they can be costly. It seems like you are paying attention to the other cards to be able to laydown these hands if some of your outs miss you. I typically avoid 3 flushes and 3 straights.

Having never read a stud section of a book, I just wanted to see if my game approach was correct.** I generally play the high split pairs, and middle wired pairs, and any 3 to the flush or straight. However, I find myself looking more and more for dead cards on the board as to how I'm going to approach my hand.
Yup, you're hitting the high points of basic strategy. Stud is very much a game of drawing to good hands with live cards. There are so many bad stud players online that you can be a winning player just by getting the basics right at a lot of limits.
Even if I have two pair or trips, I'll check opponents boards for straight and flush possibilities to see if I'm gonna continue with the hand.
So long as that's not the only factor in your decision - you also need to keep track of how many live cards your opponents have, and try to figure out if they're on the draw represented by their board. If an opponent has three hearts showing but you know that 7 hearts are dead, you've got a lot more protection against the flush. And paying attention to your own board gives you bluff opportunities... having four hearts showing means your two black jacks in the hole don't necessarily have to win a showdown for you, if your opponents are paying attention.

Just like the op i also recently started playing 7/stud... just to get away from the monot..(who hold on...I have to look that one up) monotony of hold em. It seems like there are so many calling stations. I have yet to define my game like I have in hold em... I have a lot to learn and i am very excited to do so. For now the strategy is to fold.. and avoid making rediculous draws like everyone else ( or so it seems) I am also at the same stage in tripledraw. I think learning the other games can only make you a better poker player.Oh and... Mr. Amazing....Did you forget about Ted Forrest...who i believe would give Huck or any other player a run for their money.Jason