R. I. P. Peter Zezel

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...582091-sun.html
The Toronto hockey community is mourning not only a fine player, but an ambassador of the game, gone all too soon at age 44. Peter Zezel died yesterday afternoon at Toronto Western Hospital from complications of a blood disorder that he'd battled for a decade. Condolences for the 15-year NHLer poured in last night from teammates, friends fellow coaches, his hockey school students and Ontario Lieutenant Governor David Onley. "Peter was the ultimate caring friend and teammate ... our hockey family is devastated," close friend and Maple Leaf linemate Mark Osborne said. "I will always remember the great friendships he made, how he loved to play, whether it was soccer or hockey," said Wendel Clark, captain of the Leafs during the early 1990s when Zezel was a key centre of back-to-back conference finalists. "His biggest asset as a player was his brain," Clark said. "He started in the league around the same time I did (in the mid 1980s) and was drafted as an offensive player. . "But through 15 years he was smart enough to ask himself 'how can I help this team in other ways?' He became a strong defensive player and that's how he lasted so long." Zezel nearly succumbed to hemolytic anemia in 2001, but recovered to lead a near normal life. But during spleen surgery last week to combat a flare-up of the condition, major complications developed. He was taken off life support yesterday afternoon. "Peter will forever be remembered as a great teammate and a wonderful individual, who touched the lives of many both on and off the ice," a statement from the Zezel family read. "In his typical character of generosity, Peter has donated his organs through the Trillium Gift of Life Network. We would like to thank all of Peter's friends and family for their support and we ask for privacy during this difficult time." The family has requested in lieu of flowers that donations be made to the James Birrell Fund at the Hospital for Sick Children. One of Zezel's post-playing projects was helping launch the Canadian Multicultural Hockey League , believing the best way to help newcomers to Toronto and Canada was promoting the game in their individual ethnic communities. "The hockey community has suffered a great loss today," said Glenn Healy, director of player affairs for the NHLPA. Zezel played 15 years in the NHL with the Flyers, St. Louis Blues, Washington Capitals, Leafs, Dallas Stars, New Jersey Devils and the Vancouver Canucks, covering 873 regular season games, with 219 goals and 389 assists.

Peter Zezel was really a nice guy, and as was mentioned, a great community guy. I have been a casual aquaintance of Pete's for a few years, and we actually did quite a few OTR's together. I really liked him, he was such a solid, down to earth guy. His health has always been an issue, but this was a shock. I ran into Ozzy last week, and knew about the chemo, but the spleen thing was new and sudden. It really is a sad day... Zezel Berg Osborne was one of the best blue collar lines in Leaf history. Very sad to see Peter go...

wow, what a tragic lost. I agree, I also love that line Gruven, it was a true hard working line.

Peter Zezel was really a nice guy, and as was mentioned, a great community guy. I have been a casual aquaintance of Pete's for a few years, and we actually did quite a few OTR's together. I really liked him, he was such a solid, down to earth guy. His health has always been an issue, but this was a shock. I ran into Ozzy last week, and knew about the chemo, but the spleen thing was new and sudden. It really is a sad day... Zezel Berg Osborne was one of the best blue collar lines in Leaf history. Very sad to see Peter go...
THIS..in 93 and 94 Gilmour got all the accolades, but it was the solid play of Zezel,Berg and Osborne that enabled us to go deep..There are few good old Toronto boys like Zezel that make it and then give so much back to the community..

Something I didn't know about Peter Zezel from this article http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34952.aspx

His final NHL stop came out west in 1997, where he played 66 games for the Canucks. We'll never know what might have happened after that. When his niece in Toronto was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1999, he requested a trade to a team that would allow him to be closer to home. But instead GM Brian Burke sent him to Anaheim, which was even farther away. An upset Zezel announced his retirement and came back home, winning the admiration of his teammates and fans for a selfless act that had followed what was perceived as Burke's crass one.
classy move by Burkey...

wow, he was one class act.