poker book advice

I play online poker primarily on PokerStars. I need an outlet for my large pile of FPP points. I already used 1,500 for SSHE (which hasn't arrived yet. How long does that normally take?). I can't see anything else that would be even remotely useful to me on there except some of the other books. So I ask you forum goers: What other books should I get? Here's what they offer:Small Stakes Hold'em - This one is already in the mail.The Theory of Poker - Currently reading thisFundementals of Poker by Loomis and Malmuth - Thoughts on this one?Holdem Poker by Gary Carson - Anyone read this? I can't imagine it being anything specialInternet Poker by Lou Krieger - I've heard bad things about thisChampionship Sattelite Strategy by McEvoy and Daugherty - This sounded moderately interesting. Thoughts? Anyone actually read this?Poker Champion Moneymaker by Chris Moneymaker - This makes me giggle slightly. Funny part is this costs as many FPP's as SSHE. Kind of a disproportinate system, isn't it?Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker - ?Internet Texas Holdem by Matthew Hilger - Boo to this. Can't imagine this being okHoldem for Advanced Players by Sklansky - This intrigued me. Anyone read this? thoughts?The Poker MBA by Dinkus - MehTournament Poker for Advanced Players by SklanskyThe Making of a Poker Player by Matt MatrosTournament Poker by McEvoyChampionship NL and Pot Limit Holdem by McEvoyUm, and thats it. So those are my options. Any thoughts on what my next pick up should be?Also, is there some kind of reputable review place out there for poker books? There has to be a site out there SOMEWHERE with reviews of all this (And I dont mean a ghetto Amazon review by someone who doesn't even play the game). Your help is much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

I found this to be an excellent book if you are interested in poker playing styles and how to play against them (or like them). Gives great insight into different styles from maniacs to rocks. The graphs and charts on analyzing your own play do seem redundant. Not a book full of odds rather a look at the "pyschological" nuts and bolts of playing styles. Chapter by chapter the author pits style against style and gives solid advice about your own playing style versus other styles.4.5 out of 5chazt

Fundementals of Poker by Loomis and Malmuth - Thoughts on this one?
It's pretty much what the title says - rules and basic play for variety of different games. Good for absolute beginners (or people who only know holdem and want to see how games like stud or omaha differ), but otherwise I'd give it a pass.
Holdem Poker by Gary Carson - Anyone read this? I can't imagine it being anything special
I've read it. I found it to be one of the most useful books for getting me to think about their game and the reason why I make certain moves, and what parts of my game weren't up to snuff. Not very helpful for the average book player, but IMHO excellent for anybody looking to move beyond the standard low-limit plays but not sure exactly how to do that. Also probably not a good book for an expert - call it kind of intermediate level, I guess.
Holdem for Advanced Players by Sklansky - This intrigued me. Anyone read this? thoughts?
Much of the basic material is covered in SSHE. The essays on different types of games (shorthanded, loose aggressive, that sort of thing) are the best part of this book, IMHO, otherwise SSHE covers the same ground more clearly.
Internet Poker by Lou Krieger - I've heard bad things about this
Dunno what you've heard, but it's another book that's good for beginners, otherwise not much to it.
Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker - ?
Another great book for getting people to think about their game. Maybe a little too regimented in terms of classifying players.Most of the others you list look like tournament books, in general I don't find tournament books particularly enlightening. You might tool around Amazon and see if one of them looks like it matches either your style of play or the type of tournaments you prefer, otherwise I'd say give 'em a pass.
  • 2 months later...