Preflop Raising In Low Limit O8

Let me preface this by saying that I play the vast majority of my O8 at 1/2 HORSE tables. I think that's important for three reasons: 1) it's a limit, not pot limit, game, 2) I'm playing at relatively low stakes, which I think makes for looser play, and 3) I'm not necessarily playing with people who specialize in O8. So, with that in mind, here is my question...I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the value of a pre-lop raise in O8. The game seems to me to be such a post-flop game that I see very little value in raising pre-flop. Ironically enough, I think this is even more true the later your position. Let's say you are on the button and there are two callers in front of you. You raise, maybe the small blind folds, the big blind likely defends, and the two limpers most certainly make the call. So even if you have a hand like AA23 double-suited or AA2K d-s or some other hand that's usually considered a powerhouse, you can do very little to protect it. There's a bit more value, I think, in raising from early position because then you might discourage a few callers. You might get reraised, of course, but I think that'd be ok since it'd be silly to raise from early position if you aren't prepared to call a reraise.So let's say you do have one of those big hands I mentioned above, AA23 d-s or AA2K d-s, and you go to the flop with 3 other players. The flop comes 8-9-J rainbow and either one of those hands goes down the crapper. You'd have to go all the way to 5th street to chase your low draw and you don't have straight or flush possibilities. You have a strong over-pair, but how often does one pair hold up in any Omaha hand, let alone O8? The answer is very rarely, so if you go the river hoping your AA holds up you're probobly going to lose to somebody with at least two pair if not a straight. People can talk themselves into calling with a lot of Omaha hands, so it is far from a stretch to think that one of your opponents has 89 or Q10 in their hand. My point is that so much changes with the flop that it's very difficult to be confident that the best pre-flop has any value after the flop.So I'd be anxious to hear some thoughts. What do people think of the value of a pre-flop raise in lower limit O8?

You fold the flop, since drawing to runner runner low (for at most half the pot) or runner runner full house isn't worth it.If you aren't going to raise with AA23 double suited from late position, then you should just fold blind preflop for the O8 round.Preflop raises build the pot, when you huge amounts of equity you want to do that. When the flop misses you completely you fold and try again next time.

O8 is a push/pull game, which means that there are times where you want to pull your hand and times where you want to push it. the preflop round is no different. if the game is playing really loose passive then raise all your really good low hands no matter the action. you do this to push your equity plain and simple. a hand like A23J w/ a suit has way more equity than a hand like 78TJds. while sometimes you'll completely miss the flop w/ a hand like AA23ds and sometimes a hand like 689T will smash it, you're playing to maximize value on your good hands and shouldn't care that many times you'll miss the flop w/ great preflop starting hands.if the game is somewhat reasonable then there are other factors you need to take in. if the flop is taken heads up a hand like A2KK has way more equity than A234, but A234 will play better in a hand w/ 5 players to the flop. thus, if raising will cut-down the field significantly, you're better off limping A234 and raising A2KK. if there's 5 limpers to you in the small blind you should probably raise your A235, but just complete your AA46. if it's folded to you on the button raise the KKJQ, but never open-limp it there. if it's 4 limpers to you in that spot then just call.think about how each hand plays vs. a different number of people, and then play it accordingly to the action to you. goodluck.