where did i go wrong in this hand?

If the guy is bluffing, you want him to continue to bluff.. if he has you beat, you want to lose the absolute miniumum.. you needn't have gone broke on this hand.. with his 400 raise on the turn.. he'd proably have bet 800-1200 on the river, and you'd have called that, and still lost, but you wouldn't have been busted...when you get raised, and you have board trips, it's time to shut down, unless you have an EXCELLENT read on your opponent ( IE from their pre flop action have an over pair.  The reason for this is, everyone can see them, and will be afraid of them... unless they like them too
Excellent advice....well said
You didn't go wrong here. You just took a semi bad beat, with trips to trips higher kicker. However, one thing that you must know is YOU NEVER SLOWPLAY FLOPPED TRIPS. Flopping trips is different than flopping a swt, and you never want to slowplay a hand like J10 with a JJ9 flop. Since you were first to act, you should have bet out a small pot sized bet to see where you are in the hand. If someone smooth calls, you might be able to put them on a 9 or a straight draw. If you are raised, you then have to consider the fact that someone might have a bigger J than you. If there was no preflop raise, I couldn't see a hand like AJ, but QJ or KJ is possible. Also, if you know the player that is making the raise, consider if he is tight or aggressive. If he's tight, you might be beat. If he is aggressive, I would consider a re-raise after his initial raise. It is very difficult to get off this hand, unless you really know who you are playing against.
Well put i agree with this!!!